building a mast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ryanonthebeach, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ryanonthebeach

ryanonthebeach Junior Member

Does anyone have experience or information on construction building techniques/ plans for
    Rotating Masts & Wing Masts? Or just masts in general.
    I've found a little information which I’ve posted http://www.psychosnail.com/blog/post/Rotating-Masts-Wing-Masts.aspx
    but what I’ve got so far is very technical on aerodynamics etc. I'm looking for something
    more practical.
    I remember seeing a pdf on building a wooden mast some while back mast but can’t find it again.

Thanks!!!
    ryanonthebeach

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

find a guy named Eric Spoonberg in this thing
    he seems to be the mast guru
    B

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Everything I found said keep weight down up high and use Sitka Spruce in a series of laminations and overlaps. I'm not a sailor man so that is the best I can do. There is other wood, some used in wing spars in airplanes of WW 2
    by the british and in the Japanese zero--they used wood from the Princess tree, tight vertical grain, light and very strong. I think they also called it the Kiri tree. Botanical name is Paulownia tree. Don't know what wood the British used in the Mosquito
    Those planes could pull 3 Gs on their wings at speed. If you used crib framing when you laminate I can't think of anything stronger in wood, using epoxy. Also, you can create 2- 1"x 2" hollow spaces or 1"x1" where in conduit you can run a lighting ground and in the other space you could run 4 hot lines and 4 ground lines seperated by 2" of wood from the lihtning ground. I hate seeing exterior conduits. P.S. lay your conduit in as you build it==much easier.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well, much depends on what you want, materials you'd like to use, the boat, the proposed rig, etc. Can you define a little more about your project needs for us. The very nature of masts and their use, requires a fairly good understanding of the engineering and aerodynamics involved. How else could you develop a structure capable of standing in building wind strengths.

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Call me and I can answer your questions.

Eric
    (904) 460-9494
    St. Augustine, FL

6. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I saw plans to make a wooden mast of planks/glue in the "Wooden Boat" mag or the "Boat Builder" in the late 80's or early 90's.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.