Fantail steam launches

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by confused, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Young man you are showing your young age. I do not brag about guns. there is no need.

2. confused

confused New Member

ok. ok.
    sorry,

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ahhh... Stan, I´m shure it makes sense to fly such flag. Imagine you´re out there in your steamlaserhotbulb propelled floatingairplanetractor whithout such flag? Who will fear you? Unarmed naturally

4. confused

confused New Member

what are you talking about "steamlaserhotbulbwhatwhatwhat"
    I'm just trying to decide which one to build, I am NOT going to build them all. I need a project to take on, somethiing new, a challenge, thats why I am going to build ONE of those things I have mentioned before, and when I am older, and have more money, I will take on more projects.
    thanks

5. confused

confused New Member

Ok. I have now put a rebel flag as my avatar. I hope you don't think I'm a member of the kkk now, just because I was born in Texas and I'm white.
    BTW, my dad has a rebel flag, (a small one) tatooed on his arm, and I might get one when I'm older. (JUST the rebel flag, no other tatooes!)

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

That flag can get you shot Young man. In most parts of this country that flag means racism not heritage. Never try to anger millions of people.

7. confused

confused New Member

ok. I don't live in your part of the country and I don't intend to.
    As soon as I'm 18, I'm going back to Brazoria, Texas, where there's a nice big river. look it up on google maps.
    thanks and by for now,

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm sure your father knows not to take off his shirt in certain enviroments. Age gives us all more wisdom.
    Why don't you comment on my postings about the 4 missing fishermen in Florida.

1 person likes this.
  9. apex1

apex1 Guest

To make a joke Mike, just to make a joke. cool down
    And I do´nt understand why you have choosen rasorinc to be your favorite opponent here, he´s on your side and trying to give you some proper advice.

10. confused

confused New Member

Alright. I agree.
    thanks

11. confused

confused New Member

O.k lets get to buisness. I was thinking of a catamaran steam launch. what do you think? maybe about 8ft long...
    thanks,

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Consider making it longer. You always want to take friends out or at least mom and dad and brother or sister if any.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Stan is correct, in that an 8' cat would have little capacity, if it was to take advantage of the usual qualities associated with them, which I'm assuming is the reason behind the hull form choice.

If not, you'll want the bilge of a mono hull to bury that honking steam engine, boiler and fuel stores. In this regard, considering the limited power to weight ratio you'll have, a long lean hull should be selected.

14. confused

confused New Member

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sleek, suggests narrow. Anything 10' long and "sleek" will not support much weight. You need sleek for efficiency, but you have to be able to support the weight or it becomes more like a long, skinny rock.

The first thing you do is make a reasonable estimate of the weight you need to deal with. This is everything that may be on the boat at any time. Double this number and you're in the ballpark for how much you need to keep from getting wet.

An average canoe will be in the 15' - 16' range, if you want stability and sleekness you need more length or multiple hulls. Multiple hulls usually means two shafts, one in each hull.

Figure how much you want to float Mike.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.