FALCON - A 14ft Mahogany Jet Boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by nbehlman, Sep 8, 2019.

1. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

I have posted here on and off for the last several years over the course of this project. I never made a proper build thread, and I figured I should leave one here. I designed this boat to look like a 19ft 1936 Chris Craft special race boat (the painted ones) but I went down to 14ft. I was not able to get plans or offsets for the Chris Craft - not even the Mariner's Museum had them - so I did my best to approximate on my own. I used an old jet ski for propulsion so I could operate in shallow water without an outboard compromising the aesthetic. It does 35mph with two adults aboard. It's pretty fun ripping through shallow water at 30+ mph. I'm very pleased with the jet. Still needs a windshield, some detailing of the jet pump, and interior trimmings. It's in service though, and captain and crew are enjoying the ride.

Take a look at this photo album: FALCON - A Custom Mahogany Jet Boat https://imgur.com/gallery/B7iV3cZ

IMG_6510.jpeg

Videos...
    Getting the boat out of the basement:

Sea Trials #1 (1st launch):

Sea Trials Day 2 (bugs worked out):

Sea Trials Day 4 (slow motion of wake):

alan craig likes this.
  2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Impressive piece of work ! Have you had occasion to run across a few boat wakes, to see if she stays on course ?

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

That is a most impressive looking boat. It looks, sure enough, like a mini Chris-Century-Riva.

4. nbehlman

nbehlman Junior Member

It goes over wakes pretty well around 15 mph. If I get going much faster, it’s leveled off too much and just slams. I don’t expect much from a 14ft boat. Just about everything else on the water is bigger.

5. djamson

djamson Junior Member

You did an awesome job. That's a nice looking boat!

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Very nice looking boat. Looks a lot like a model of a Chris Craft I built of a 1949 19 foot runabout. I think putting a jet in it was brilliant.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.