Wrong bolts?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by BHOFM, Aug 5, 2008.

1. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Shouldn't they have used SS carriage bolts and turned them
    the other way and put a little bedding compound around them?

Attached Files:

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

ehhmmm, is that a female sittin' there....?

3. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

Bolts? Thems are legs....I don't see any bolts.
    --Chuck

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Nor me! some people has strange names for things eh?

5. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

It doesn't take much to get this bunch off topic!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think the young lady is about 12!

If it's not a problem, I can post the picture, it was given to my Grand daughter when
    she met this young girl, model, when she was in Brazil last summer! My Grand daughter
    wants to be a model and they came across this photo shoot and Kayla made friends
    with this young lady! They Email all the time now!

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Carragebolts are about the worst fastener ever made, except those ones that have the little **** on the back of the head to dig in. The titted bolts work better, but still have limited tightening ability, before they tear out the wood under the head and spin helplessly, as you try to remove a stubborn nut.

If they had the heads on the metal bracket side, there would have to be a square hole in the bracket to hold the shank of the head from turning as the nut was tightened and likely why they're mounted the other way, as seen in the legs photo.

7. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

So I need bolts with **** and square holes and this will
    fix the leak?

8. masalai

masalai masalai

replace the transom, all other activities may be illegal

9. Guest-3-12-09-9-21

Guest-3-12-09-9-21 Senior Member

After battling many wooden boat woes I tend to be somewhat more caveman in my approach to fastening things. For the transom I'd be tempted to through bolt the brace with long bolts and large washers...and adhesive caulking.

Now for an ignorant question...what, praytell, is a "titted" bolt? **** pretty much lock my brain into a visual that has nothing to do with bolts...

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Haven't a clue Chuck but I'd sure like to get my hands on a few!!!;)

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i THINK they are bolts,,that the "nuts" have "****" on the "wood side" when you tighten ( or hit with hammer hehe) the bolt it "pulls" the nut into the wood,,,and them "****" are SUPPOSE to dig in and NOT turn,,,,,,like Par said,,,,they tighten good,,,,,but it doesnt take much to "mess em up",,,,loosing them usually means a saws-all,,,,,,,,,,I THINK, thats what he was talking bout,,,,,,but as usual im probably wrong,,hehe ;)

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

what kind of thread is this anywayz?,,, ****,nuts,through bolts,,man ,,nasty people hehe :D;)

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It would be very useful to have carriage bolts with socket heads for allen wrenches, but I suppose it won't ever happen. I use carriage bolts on all my gaff and boom jaws. They work fine (though you have to chisel a little square mortise first).
    They certainly are a lot better than brass rod and washers, peened over. Last gaff jaws I used ash and the carriage bolts tried to spin (usually I use substantially harder white oak, but three-inch pieces with curved grain are not easy to find).
    If I had my druthers, I source socket head ss bolts, which are easier to set flush, and I'd make flush hexagonal insets on the nut side (using epoxy rather than chiselling), then screw/unscrew from the head side. All this can be applied to other places on the boat, which is why I'm mentioning it now.

Alan

14. BHOFM

BHOFM Senior Member

Alan;

The boat I am working on has carriage bolts holding the
    daggerboard case to the keel. Now you all have me thinking
    there may be a better way?

I like the idea that it can be removed if it ever needs to be
    resealed. I know I have seen these bolts somewhere so I
    did a bit of googling and it dawned on me, they are called
    button head bolts!

About half way down the page;

http://www.boltdepot.com/socket-products.aspx

And they come in SS!

Why has my attempt at a funny thread turned into one
    that should be in the boatbuilding section?:p

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There have been called a number of different things over the years, but "fin head" is the name I remember most.

The underside of the bolt head (not the nut) has a few fins that stick down (****, sharp, pointy ones, like a young . . .), which pierce the wood as the bolt is driven in the well fitted hole or as it's tightened. They can be commonly seen on docks and old boats, but I haven't seen them in a store for years. I think I have a few bronze and galvanized ones lying around some where.

My problem is they can only take so much torque before they begin to spin. With the carriage head there's nothing to hold onto, so you're screwed, hence my dislike of the beasts.

There use to be a manufacture of socket head bolts, which had a button head (an Alan drive, but rounder and bigger pan head). These would be ideal if you could find them.

[​IMG]

Maybe BoltDepot . . .

Alan, I'd use blind nuts on your gaff jaws, so you can crank the bolts down good, but no exposed nut. Bung the nut side for a clean look.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.