6ft by 8ft Raft on Lake Michigan?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by StabbyJoe89, Aug 4, 2008.

1. StabbyJoe89

StabbyJoe89 New Member

Never sailed, or rafted, anywhere before. But me and some friends built a 6ft by 8ft raft. Non of us have a boating license and the raft isn't registered. Could you guys help me out? I'm trying to figure out if it's legal for us to raft in a part of Lake Michigan that is very calm, with no beaches or people in the area. There are no harbors anywhere nearby or other boats, people, or obstacles we could run into or cause damage to. With that being said, do you think we would get in trouble? Also if this idea is sounding ridiculous, do you guys think we could raft on the North Branch of the Chicago River? It flows north of downtown, meaning we would not risk ending up in the crowded Chicago River downtown. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

The first question is - is the raft stable? will it kill you, never mind everyone else? If that's OK and it dos work without turning over try it! After all you are supposed to be a democracy with some kind of rights - well you got guys die for those rights (same bloody wars we got guys dying in too! same side as well strangely enough)

3. DrKungPao

DrKungPao Junior Member

yah what walee said... if its stable then wear your PFD and go for ****. Whats the worst that can happen? A fine, or possible death? Gotta live a little!

4. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

I work on the Cal/Sag Canals and the North Branch of the Chicago River on an inland towboat. If I saw you and your friend on a 6'x8' raft I would call the Coast Guard and report you as either a pair of escaped mental defectives or a hazard to navigation or both.

I understand you want to get out on the water. Great, go for it, don't let me slow you down. But do it someplace where you won't get run down. I have enough paperwork in my life already.

If you're serious about getting into boats, just check out some of the marinas along the river around the Blue Island area. They all have a section full of boats that aren't getting worked on or in the water at all, uncovered and open to the weather. Surely one of them is in reasonable shape and for sale.

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Epono-dime you just ain't got no soul - boys just want to have fun! so what if they kill themselves in the process -they'll only do it once!

As for the paperwork -happened at night didn't it, didn't see nothing guv'nor honest!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.