Transom Brace Weld

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by LAURASDAD, Feb 27, 2007.

1. LAURASDAD

LAURASDAD New Member

Hello,

I am a newbie so forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I just bougt an aluminum bass boat. There is a brace on the inside of the transom. The brace's weld has failed where it meets the floor.

Is this a major issue? I had a welder look at it and he said it wouldn't take a weld. It was previously welded and whatever they previously used was preventing a new weld from taking.

thanks for any advise

Larry

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Welcome

Larry,

Welcome to the forum. Any guy who signs himself as his daughter's dad must be a good guy!

In a former life, when I ran a small equipment rebuilding shop, we once had a bad crack in a vacuum pump casting repaired successfully by braizing, so I know it might work.

This company says their braizing rod is an advance over what we used 15-20 years ago. I don't know this company's product from personal experience, but they say the rod will work on aluminum repairs when conventional welding will not. Maybe it will work for your boat; there is a lot of info available to evaluate it, and they sell a kit for under $100.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp

I hope it works out for you.

Good luck,

Charlie

3. sal's Dad

sal's Dad Atkin/Bolger fan

I have to agree...

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

That's great!

(Full disclosure, I'm Erin's Dad)

5. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Sounds like this might have been caused by repetetive stress, in which case just welding it might result in a short-lived repair. Consider beefing up the immeidiete surrounding area. A backing plate opposite the brace or insetting a slightly heavier piece of aluminum hull into an appropriatly cut out area might work.

Welcome to the forum.

TGoz

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Consult another welder.

7. LAURASDAD

LAURASDAD New Member

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I am going to bring it to another welder. I thought maybe they could weld some angle aluminum around the brace. This would give them a clean surface and give some additional support.

thanks again

Larry

8. SaltOntheBrain

SaltOntheBrain Senior Member

Dirt Eater and Fire Breather.....

At you service!!

Did Aluminum boat repairs for a living for years, and I'd bet some genius put JB Weld on it. I don't blame the guy for not wanting to do it, but it needs to be done and that's what he gets paid to do.

A little heat and a stainless cup brush on a small grinder will usually clean up that kind of mess. If it's in a tight corner, a stainless toothbrush may be required, or even a knotted die grinder brush. Again, in stainless.

Aluminum will not weld properly or at all if it's not clean. And be very careful what you touch it with especially if it's going to be in salt water. Steel bristles, Brass bristles, pencil marks(They're graphite, a nobler metal), dirty grinding discs. They can all contaminate the aluminum and cause galvanic corrosion.

Aluminum is a woman. Beautiful, sexy, smart, and will break your heart if you handle it improperly.

I'll tell you everything useful I know about Aluminum boat repairs if you need to know more. P.M. me, send pics, call me(806) 438-5494.

I really hate to see a bad repair job. You also need to address why it broke in the first place. If you just weld it back, it will probably break again regardless of the quality of the weld. It will likely need to be welded, smoothed off and reinforced.

Is it a riveted or a welded boat? Riveted boats are often so thin they are difficult to weld, so ordering a new bracket, drilling out the old rivets and bucking in the new ones is often a better fix.

Does any of this help you?

1 person likes this.

9. LAURASDAD

LAURASDAD New Member

Weld Repair

Thanks very much for your replies, they have been very helpful. I am taking the boat to another welder who comes highly reccomended.

I thought maybe they could use some angle aluminum on the bottom where the weld failed. They could weld this new piece onto the brace, and it should give them a clean service on the bottom to "re-weld" since it will move the weld area over a few inches. I think it makes sense for me to add some reinforcement.

By the way, it is a welded boat

Do you think the welder will have some insight as to how to add the reinforcement? thanks again

Larry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.