Fairing before LPU Paint

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by kpiazzisi, May 10, 2011.

1. kpiazzisi

kpiazzisi Junior Member

Hi I am going to have a few questions comming up on my personal 18 foot ski boat. I have another post on here, but unfortunately I lost my audience due to a debate over epoxy versus polyester.
    After having worked for several hours with both materials I now have an appreciation for epoxy and see no reason to ever use polyester.

I'm glad that I followed the advise of members on this forum who advised me to use epoxy. At the time I was reluctant because I THOUGHT epoxy would cost more.

I made all my stringers and bulkheads with Nida Core as the core and epoxy laminate skins. The sole of the boat is nida core (20 mm I think). I am now at a point where I need to fair the floor. The floor is actually pretty even, but I do have raised seams where I placed 1708 biax tape. I should have just used 1700 but I had the 1708 on hand.

To make sure the floor made contact with the epoxy glue on top of the stringers, I screwed the floor down during the gluing process with Drywall screws. The screws have been removed, but the small (aprox 1 mm) holes are still there. Will a skin coat of Fairing compound over the entire floor be sufficient to seal the screw holes?

The bottom of my interior side panels are carpet over wood. I want to remove the carpet and paint the wood. Do I need to glass the wood before painting, or just coat the wood with epoxy. I will be using Alexaseal paint?

Attached Files: