Fairing advice

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fallguy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

So, I can sort of see the finish line a bit in my build and I have some rookie finish questions.

The boat is 21 oz triax on 12mm Gurit corecell M or pvc; generally.

The hull is developable panel ftmp.

Panels are held by rebated tape seams. In a few spots; the tapes are a bit proud. Touche'-the proud tapes will be like a fairing guide.

I have dropped a tool now n then onto the locker bases and the glass delams fairly easily. Well; it is white here ne there. Some of the bases were made with scrap glass of the same weight, so the hull will also not take much banging.

I had another builder tell me to wrap the entire boat in 6-9 oz glass, but that seems a bit silly. I did use veil as a test on at least one panel, but really saw little need for it and stopped.

I have been considering just putting a layer of fairing over the entire hull say like 0.060" using a vee or u trowel. I could make the fairing mix harder for a bit more dent resistance, then we could longboard the vees and then flatfill with a harder mix.

Does anyone have any advice on how to help minimize delam with fairing and advice on how hard a fairing compound ought to be? My main fairing could be more like 40%cab and 60%balloons.

I realize sanding is a bear...

And also, would it be better to stick with a softer fairing mix for ease of work and then harden the boat with say 3 barrier coats of pure epoxy?

I realize my locker bases need a liner, but want to help the boat a bit from damage from minor dings.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"I realize my locker bases need a liner, but want to help the boat a bit from damage from minor dings."

Um, can you confirm that you have glassed the inside of the hull as well ?
    If not, your outer skin will delam as the foam distorts.

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Sorry. All panels are glassed both sides to designer specs or better.

I will put something like a rubber or vinyl or propaflex on the locker bases to avoid damage from drops.

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Fallguy

Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope it isn't the oncoming train.

Unless you're planning on fairing thickness measured in meters, it won't provide impact protection.

Use just enough cabo to prevent sagging

Best of luck

Paul

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

What about barrier coatings? Will say three layers or 10mil of epoxy help? Or is the boat to be babied?

6. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

I believe that you used epoxy to set the glass. If so an epoxy barrier coat would mostly benifit your supplier's bank account.

Aluminum foil simply isn't the same as 1/4" aluminum plate.

Cabo and aluminum powder will increase abrasion resistance But only more layers of glass will increase impact resistance.

Durability is often sacrificed for lightweight performance.

Keep her light. Enjoy her speed. But above all keep her off the coral.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Thank you.

I think the bit that scares me the most is the triax strands are 32' long and if one ever started at the bow....the matrix might not hold it going 20mph.