Fairing a cone to hull in maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grant Nelson, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Hi All, I am trying to add a rounded bow to a hull in Maxsurf by bonding a cone. I can not find anything in the manual, or on the Formsys site that give a useful example. They discribed it in general, but then say look at some samples. The problem is that the samples use cones with an extra row and column. These are very hard to add and keep the cone shape. Also, when you add a cone it is lying on its side, and it seems when I rotate it, the column and rows are confused, because when I finally get a bond it is totally distorted. Does anyone know of a good clear example of a practical application of using a cone to create rouned bow in MaxSurf?

2. nero

nero Senior Member

I do not use MaxSurf.

But if the ends of the hulls are open, then use half of the open edge and sweep it 90 degrees in 2 steps. Then mirror this surface. This will give something rounded and can be easily tweeked to fair it with the hull curves.

This works well for me in TouchCad.

3. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Thanks Nero, while this will probably not exactly work as you describe for MaxSurf, it does give me some good ideas how to do something similar.

4. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Grant

There is a sample design that comes with Maxsurf called Workboat, this has a good but simple bowcone. Have a look at that design, in the meantime I will put together a tutorial on bowcones and post it in a few days time.

Andrew

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.