Freeship offsets excel import problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by h.siereveld, May 27, 2008.

1. h.siereveld

h.siereveld New Member

Hi all,

I made the attached txt file to import in freeship.
    The result is a nightmare. I ve tried several times, read the manual, read the forum, but no success.

In the xls file you can see the conversion excel sheet and the original table of offsets that I want to import.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
    Henk Siereveld

Attached Files:

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi,
    Can you tell us a little about the hull? Are these offsets for chines? Or is it for shapes (regular curved hull, no chines)?
    It looks like your table of offsets might be using the waterline for the baseline. But after playing around a little with the dimensions of the control points that also seems like a doubtful theory. So any clues you might provide might help arrive at a solution.

3. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

Just have a look ate the middle column of your text file. The y-coordinates (beam of each station at a particular waterline height) start with a value larger than zero, it should be zero. Then, as the waterline heights increase your beam first decreases to zero and then increases again. It looks you made an error while transferring your offsets to the file.

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Henk
    The Excel input data is obviously not correct. At every station you have zero value for the WL 36" and WL45" coordinates. Also your offset table only has the sides of the boat above the waterline. You have not included and of the skeg or keel info in your tables.

I have attached an offset file for the underwater section of a slender hull. If you import this into Freeship it will give you an idea of what you should be looking for.

Rick W.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.