Extreme upgrade to VW V10 tdi

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by hoyboy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy New Member

I have a 7m RIB powered by a 120hp 1.7tdi mercruiser. It is under powered and unreliable and i am looking to upgrade it. I happen to have a 300hp VW V10 TDI lying around (as you do!). It would need to be maranised and drive upgraded to a bravo unit as i dont think the alpha 1 will handle the massive torque. I was just wondering if this would be a viable option? It would make a mean boat if it could work but it may be cheaper to buy a boat with an engine such as a 300hp yanmar already fitted. I just want to use this engine for somthing but i must get it running first, it has suspected head gaskit problems.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Unless you also own the car it was designed for, I doubt the engine will ever run again.
    To turn it into a boat engine, you need an engineer who designs the exhaust manifolds and a company to make them for you. The computer must be reprogrammed, engine mount must be made, an adapter for a stern drive etc.

All things considered, buying a new boat engine will be a lot cheaper.

3. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Nice engine and all,but listen to CDK.

Unless you have the two 32 bit ECUs with the factory wiring harnesses and connectors and shielded wiring you are in for a lot of headaches.

Also,the engine weighs about 230 kg/500 pounds so I don't think it will do well in a 7meter RIB.

Throw on a 200 hp outboard if you want more speed.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.