Extrapolating motions to different locations

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by delta33582, Jan 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. delta33582

delta33582 New Member

I am running a seakeeping simulation on a vessel and am tracking rigid body motions of a (single) reference point over time, regular waves. Does anybody have any references that advise on how I can use this data (displacements, velocity, accelerations) from a single tracked point and extrapolate it to a number of different locations? This would be within seakeeping, however I find no guidance in the texts.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you have an accelerometer and want to know the motion at other locations in the vessel?

3. delta33582

delta33582 New Member

So we have accelerometer data for different points (about 10) from tank testing. I am running/writing a program that permits me to track a single point at a time. Without having to iterate through multiple runs for the sake of gather data at additional points (from the program), I was hoping that there is some kinematic formulation I can refer to?

For instance if I track AP accelerations, can I accurately extrapolate and combine heave, pitch, roll accelerations for FP? If not, how many points should I collect data for in order to do so.

4. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

This is simple rigid body dynamics, pick up any good dynamics text or see Section 301a of MIL-STD 1399. Since you are running simulation, I assume that you are getting 6-axis frequency data (amp and phase) at the CG out, because time domain out data is useless for seakeeping studies as you will always have the computer/real water issues. If you have tank test time domain data, you will need to spectrally analyze it (most likely using FFT so I have you have 20+ minutes of run time data) then correct it back to CG to get your 6-axis frequency data out. IIRC, there is a discussion of this issue in the WAMIT theory chapter and in Dynamics of Marine Vehicles by Rameswar Bhattacharyya.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.