Extending fiberclass cabin aft

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Mait, Oct 12, 2022.

1. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

We are striving for a surface that is a fair continuation of the existing deck-within the thickness of a heavy gelcoat.A quick and dirty mould is the easiest way to get there.Been there,done it,got the T shirt.I do like to see enthusiasm,but I have grown weary of forums full of posters with lots to say and not too many miles on the clock.

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Got a lot of hours building parts, even in place, etc. Not so many with gelcoat.

Stick to substance.

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Gelcoat finishing is a boring and laborious job.It absorbs a lot of time.To achieve an imperceptible blend on this project,it will be less work to create a simple plug with a fair surface than to achieve a good result in any other manner.The process of "building a mould" involves a couple of gelcoats and about a 2.4Kg/sq.m layup with a few bits of plywood or mdf to hold it steady while laminating.The mould surface can be compounded to a high quality prior to laying up the new component.The mould itself can be used as an assembly and alignment jig,which will leave a narrow band of new gelcoat to bring to a good level of finish.Minimal finishing and a surface that matches the shape of the existing deck-simple and efficient.

Building a mould in place from sheet material works with flat surfaces.Getting a fair and continuous surface with curvature and feature lines matching is a lot more difficult.The radiused top corner of the cabin will be hard to get right and the lower angle where the top of the coaming meets the cabin side will also be a challenge.Building a male plug means that you get to see the finished shape before any resin is mixed.The fifteen hours or so of mould making will seem like time well spent compared to fixing a mis-match that has arisen because the result of one's efforts couldn't be seen.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Agree with needing a male plug or jig.

I'm not sure what I described that cannot be seen. All I said was that I would not build a female mould. I would build everthing in place for the very reason that it can be seen well.

If the purpose of the female mould is for gelcoating, then okay...but still yuk.

5. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

First, he is going to refinish the entire deck, and he doesn't mention if it's going to be gelcoat or paint. Even if this would not be the case, the area in question is well defined by the coaming and will be under a sprayhood, super precise color matching is not essential.

There are several ways to do this, but he asked for the easiest one, and that is to laminate over a sturdier version of his cardboard mockup then blend the lines with filler and longboard. Everything else takes more time and effort for the dubious benefit of having less filler on the finished piece.
    I advocate that he builds the plug directly in place anchoring it to the inside faces of the existing laminate. This way all the laminating work can be done from the outside and hand down, all he has to do on the inside is grind the cut edges of the old laminate smooth.

fallguy likes this.
  6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

What is the layup of the top you fellas propose?

I would use a core.

7. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Building in place over a male former and longboarding will damage the existing surface.It takes a long time to achieve a good finish on the outside of anything and while a pro surfboard shaper might be able to do it quite quickly,most of us won't.The new area and the old will both be visible with a sprayhood in place as sprayhoods normally attach to the outer face of the raised coaming and when lowered the new area and the join will be in daylight.As will the large radius along the corner and it is highlight lines on these corners that betray blemishes.
    A sheet of 12mm MDF and a piece of alder/lime/jelutong will probably be sufficient and about 25cl of shellac sealer will almost certainly be sufficient.There are those who insist that only after 8 coats of Duratec and a few days of polishing can a mould be made and while it is a good procedure for production,it isn't essential for a one off.A couple of coats of shellac and a rub down with 320 grit before moulding will work and the fine scratches can easily be compounded out of the mould before making the part.

The layup ought to be easy to deduce once the cuts are made and I would agree that a core would be good.Having seen the state of the sliding hatch I would tend to use PVC foam perhaps about 75kg/cu.m and I would strive for a balanced laminate.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    fallguy likes this.

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

There is certainly some truth to the problems of fairing in place. This is why reliefs would be needed. Then there is almost zero longboard work. And existing finish can be protected with double 2" masking tapes. Break them and add another..

I'd also use a marine core, so easy to form up and see what you are going to build and then relieve it for tabbing on the outside.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.