Gelcoat on floor

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Wade Major, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Wade Major

Wade Major New Member

I am in process of replacing the floor in a 17.5 foot boat. I plan to resin coat the plywood on both sides and then put a layer of #6 cloth on the floor with more resin. Rather than painting on a non-slip rubber type surface, I am planning on painting on gelocat and using a sponge to create a non-slip surface. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I want a floor that can stand up to prawn and crab traps and lots of fishing. It needs to be non-slip as it is often wet and normally needs to be scrubed after every trip. Any suggestions regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Yeah, Wade Major, I have done this in the past and it is a good non skid.

Do the work as you plan, but then lay onto the surface a final layer with a material roller, the trick is to re roll the surface just before it gels, what happens is that the surface then picks up to many small peaks as you run the roller over it, the peaks are quite sharp at first, but do tend to settle as the resin gels. Timing is all important, it has to be still soft, but not too soft.
    An other way is you just use the nonskid particles available from say, Awlgrip, but instead of putting them over the wet surface with a sieve, you actually spray them from a spray gun, just use the putty gun, they are in the pot dry, the end result is the best you will ever see. I have used this technique for some of the best built boats available, and never a complaint about the surface.

3. AroMarine

AroMarine Junior Member

For a good heavy duty nonskid on commercial boats I thicken the gel with cabosil thicker than ketchup but less than peanut butter. Roll out with a 3/8 or 1/2 nap roller you will get a feel for how rough you want it. Let it gel a little then roll out a top coat with the wax in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.