effects of bieng overloaded

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by lfrancis, Apr 25, 2008.

1. lfrancis

lfrancis Junior Member

I have a pacific seacraft 25 I use it for cruising. Disp.=5700#. Full keel. With all the gear and what not, she is down in the water a bit. I realize she is slower, she may not perform as well. But I am concerned with the safety factors. Especially stability. And whatever else.

2. lfrancis

lfrancis Junior Member

here is a look at waterline

Attached Files:

3. lfrancis

lfrancis Junior Member

here is a look at waterline she is about 4 inches over design. This pic doesn't tell much. just thought I would throw it in.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Stability depends on where the extra weight is concentrated. Low enough and stability is increased. It helps if all gear has been stowed safely, so that it isn't going to come unglued if you get knocked down.
    5700# is a bit on the light side for 25 ft (the Flicka must be a bit heavier).
    A heavier boat usually has a larger waterplane (wider waterline beam and length, fuller ends) and it usually won't sink as much loaded with an equal weight.
    The penalty when you load down your boat is she won't have the sail area to push the boat as fast. I don't think a few inches make much difference stability-wise if heavy stores are stowed down low.

Alan

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Your boat is designed to accept weight well. She's a cruiser and shaped as such, so your concerns about her in a well burdened condition can be relaxed.

She should carry 4,700 pounds in displacement with about 1,800 in ballast making for a healthy 37% ballast ratio. She's under canvassed at 236 sq.ft., which provides a low 13.4 SA/D, but she's intended as a blue water cruiser, not a racer, though light air sails could be carried. Crealock designed nice, wholesome boats and your will handle the load fine.

Pay attention to Alan's comments about securely stowing and placing it low in the boat. Carry a spinnaker, big jib or code zero for light air work as these boats are not known for good performance in fickle winds.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.