1974 Evinrude 40H.P.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Machinist, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Machinist

Machinist New Member

This motor starts up fairly easy and runs ok at half throttle. When I try to give it more gas it starts to sputter like it is going to stall. It will only run good past full throttle when it is not under a load. I would greatly appresciate any help!!! :confused:

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Clean the carb. Then check the diaphram (sp?) pump. That will likely fix your probs.

K9

3. Machinist

Machinist New Member

The carb has been cleaned and no difference in performance. The motor runs good at full throttle for 2-3 minutes before it acts up. Do you think it could be the fuel pump like you said before ? The motor runs okay with no load on it. This is my first boat so I have no clue what I am doing!

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Evinrude ignition coils have a VERY limited life.

New coils and ignition wire will cost little at NAPA, and will help resolve weather it is a fuel problem,

FF

5. Machinist

Machinist New Member

Thanks for the advise Fast Fred. I will replace the coils first, if nothing else at least they will be new.

6. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Yea coils first, then fuel pump. I had to do it all on my 64 OMC, now it runs great. If this dosnt do it you might hae the compression checked.

K9

7. Machinist

Machinist New Member

I have replaced the coils but have not had the chance to get it in the water yet. I also found out that the timingwith the high speed jet linkage needs a replacement for the adjustment screw.

8. dd24skater

dd24skater Junior Member

I would check compresion

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.