Which software can I use for wave patterns?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sizzurp, Sep 22, 2009.

1. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

I want to compare some hull forms with respect to wave patterns and resistance. Froude number +/- 0.4. Which computer program can i use best?

(made the hullforms in rhino)

many thanks!

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

the wave patterns will all be the same, the resistance will be different when the hull forms are different, ie length displacement ratio's etc.....not sure what your question is?

3. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

I have to do a study: fast ships and wash.

The waves are not the same for every hull form, i.e. catamarans produce different waves (different angles) than monohulls.

I know there are (potential theory) programs like RAPID and SPLASH, but are there also free programs? (or low cost)

4. Martijn_vE

Martijn_vE Marine software developer

1 person likes this.
  5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

"..The waves are not the same for every hull form.."

This just shows that your level of understanding on the subject is very low and that need to read a lot more about hydrodynamics first before you start playing with computers and what they 'show'. Suggested reading:
    "Basic Ship Theory" - Rawson & Tupper
    "Hydrodynamics in Ship Design" - SNAME Publication.

6. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Michlet is no longer supported on the cyberiad site. You should be able to download from this link:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...0007-michlet-godzilla-availability-mlt807.zip

It does not have a flashy GUI but I expect it will give you reliable results once you learn how to drive it. It is impressively fast.

Rick W

7. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

sizzurp
    "..hull forms with respect to wave patterns .."

Then i think you need to understand the terminology of wave patterns or define yourself more clearly.

Since it appears you are talking about wave energies and their amplitudes, rather than a wave pattern. A pattern, as the word suggest, is a repeating process. Waves produced by a moving body in water produces repeating patterns, as shown in the diagram in post#3, .
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/wave-pattern-question-28667.html

Hence your understanding of the term "wave patters" per se, is not correct.

9. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

They often call it wave patterns in literature, so yes energy, amplitude and propagation direction. I thought all together defined as "wave pattern". Just want to do a little study before my real work begins.
    Sorry I called you a noob, just miscommunication I guess.

10. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

sizzurp
    That is because those that write these often very detailed and complex papers, are not naval architects, they are generally mathematicians. (they use a slightly different nomenclature). They are looking at the wave surface from a pressure distribution/energy point of view. Terribly fascinating stuff, but, no real use to the practical naval architect. (though their work many years later is of great use, once validated and can be used on a daily basis..)

Hence, wave patterns, as naval architects define them, are based upon the observations from Lord Kelvin, and since defined as such ie looking down on the boat in plan view, not a cut through the water.

I assumed your definitions may be a little off, hence the clarification, since English may not be your native language. No biggy...just dont jump to conclusions, if in doubt, ask!

Attached Files:

11. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

lol, you said:
    "your level of understanding on the subject is very low" , bit insulting for a phd-student..

But maybe i should have called it wash instead of wave pattern..

12. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

sizzurp

a phd of what subject?......without clarification, just as in your original question, any and all conclusions may be drawn; could be a phd in 'flower arranging', without context, what does it mean?. Being a student or having a phd, doesn't mean one should or does know everything on the subject at hand.

Asking questions and exploring ideas/logic and theory educates us. But cold assumptions do not. That is the mistake made by many poeple who use and rely far to heavily on computer software for their answers. The answers to the questions they should seek, are from books and other verifiable sources, not a series of 1's and 0's that have very prescriptive set of limits, which many choose to ignore or simply do not understand. A pretty pictures may help you 'see' things better, but it does not in anyway make you understand the how's and the why's.

13. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

I'm a naval architect, studied hydromechanics with a lot of mathematics. subject: low wash fast ferries.
    My question is just if there's any software to calculate wave patterns. I think that's pretty clear for people who know what i'm talking about. end of discussion.

14. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

I recommend a very interesting recent paper:

"Bank erosion from small craft wave wake in sheltered waterways",
    Macfarlane, G.J., Cox, G. and Bradbury, J.
    Int. J. of Small Craft Technology,
    2008, RINA,

The authors dispel a few myths regarding wave wakes and erosion, and they make a strong argument against simple single criterion measures of the potential damaging effects of wave wakes, e.g. (among others) maximal wave height. They also make a fairly strong argument for using wave energy per unit wave height (units LT^2) and the wave period of the "maximal wave" as useful descriptors.

Best of luck with your studies!
    Leo.

15. sizzurp

sizzurp Junior Member

That's a very interesting paper, thank you very much! Have seen your name very often while searching the internet for articles.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.