Exporting MaxSurf Design

Discussion in 'Software' started by FishFleet, Dec 16, 2009.

1. FishFleet

FishFleet New Member

So I recently finished designing a Hull in MaxSurf 13 and now I need to figure out how to export the data points onto flat sheets of aluminum for production. I've attached said hull shape so you have some sort of reference of what I'm talking about.

Optimally what I'm looking to do, is to flatten out the each of the 2 pieces of the hull so that I can just draw them on aluminum sheets and cut them out. I haven't been able to figure out a good way to do this, more then anything I just don't know what to search the tutorial/internet for, to come up with an answer.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, feel free to ask any questions as well, or if you have any suggestions for the model also, please feel free.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Fishfleet you have created a rod for your own back so to speak! You have way too many control point you would only need about four columns to shape most hulls, it makes it very hard to fair your surfaces, also it is better to have two surfaces for the hull than one. You then use the section command to give you the sections for your table of offsets. The developable part of what you want to do needs a separate programme. What other cad programmes do you have? I have done an example of the kind of thing I mentioned using your file as a guide. I just used the minimum number of columns to get close to your shape. I haven’t faired the lines so you can see the difference.

Attached Files:

3. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

You need Workshop (also by Formation). There are cheaper versions with limited number of surfaces and dont run stringers so for plate development only it's not too expensive.

4. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

I just had a play with your file. Bhnautika is right, you need less control points and you must have seperate surfaces for plate development - make sure you bond the edges. Have a look in the help files for the developable surface tool. Also you need to use the curvature combs on your edges, they need some more fairing work. In the 3D window if you select render and then select longitudinal you will see some problems with longituninal fairness.

It's nearly there - just needs some fine tuning.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.