exporting GHS data from Rhino3d version 2.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Dec 6, 2006.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

hi all ,
    I have found a version 2.0 of rhino from market by searching so much!
    But I am facing some problem about exporting GHS data from that version 2.0,
    while I was using demo of version 3.0 I could export GHS data by the command "AttachGHSData" or from the bonus menu.
    but there is no bonus menu in version 2.0 , and that command is not Valid!
    I tried to export GHS by file>export selected> then chosing file type as .gf
    but while I am trying tho import that ghs data;;;;I am seeing that there is a problem in that ghs file and archimedes cannot open it!
    would you please help me by providing any solution??? Is it not possible to export GHS file of the hull by version 2.0????
    or can you please tell me any other software by which I can make a GHS data from IGS file of the hul?
    IN version 2.0 everything is okay I am seeing with out the GHS export!
    please help me by providing solution about exproting GHS data !
    thank you all!

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

GHS is a part of the Rhino 3 upgrade pack. It will not be in Rhino 2.

The GHS file format is not hard to use, but IGES is not the most obvious file-format to understand, even with the official documentation.

If I were you I'd wait for Rhino V4. Unless you really have to use Rhino V2 for some reason (running it on Linux).

Incidentally, Rhino V3 and V4 don't run under emulation in Linux because calls to an IP address of 0.0.0.0 (used in Rhino's license manager) are not supported. This IP is reserved for information about the system. I have suggested that McNeel improve thier license manager by re-working it to operate without the call to 0.0.0.0 , but they seemed to think that it wasn't worth the hour or so to re-write it, even if it would have allowed use under emulation to all Linux and Mac users. Guess who won't be buying V4 when it comes out.

Tim B.

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

ok!
    but is there any other software for converting igs surface to GHS data? please give me that information if there is any!
    I wonder that, while exporing any file from rhino 2.0 ; there is a option of file type .gf and in the help file also , there is writing about ghs data export!
    so , anyway;;; if you can tell me how I can do convert my hull of maxsurf to GHS with any other process , I will be very pleased!
    thanks to all!

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

you can input to GHS your files by typing the coordinates of your sections (Frames). into a TXT file that's the way a lot of users create their hulls for GHS.

Also you can use freeship and save as a GHS, i think is easier for you to go form maxsurf to freeship, again type your vertexes from maxsurf and the results should be similar.

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

You ould export the hull as a raw triangle mesh, then interpolate the points to find sections and write them into a GHS file. A little bit of C++ would do that fairly easily. I don't know of any software that has already been written for the purpose. That doesn't mean it's not around though.

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.