Experiences needed regarding small (10-14hp) saildrive engines.

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Franzi.v.B., Jul 15, 2011.

1. Franzi.v.B.

Franzi.v.B. Junior Member

Hi,

to replace the old 9.9hp outboard on my trimaran I am looking for a relative lightweight, very reliable and uncomplicated saildrive inboard engine.

Background is, that the outboard is to exposed and tends to exit the water in slightly rougher conditions. Additionally, I do not like the moment which is created by the heavy outboard on the beam.

You can see the current bracket here:

http://trimaranaquaris.jimdo.com/refit-gallery/pictures/

It is important to me that the new engine has an indirect cooling circuit (=freshwater via heat exchanger) and that it does preferably have no complicated electronics. The farm mechanic in Timbuktu (or wherever...) should be able to fix it.
    I am looking for a saildrive engine with 10-14hp.

So far I have found:
    • Allpa Sole Mini 11
    • Yanmar 2YM15C
    • Nanni N2.10
    • Bukh DV10LSME
    • Lombardini LDW 502 SD
    • Vetus M2.C5
    • Volvo Penta MD2010S
    • Volvo Penta D1-13 130S
    • Clouds International 330.MK2
    • BetaMarine BZ 482 SD

What are your experiences concerning the following:
    • Robustness/Simplicity/ReliablilityRobustheit
    • Price vs. Qualiy
    • Any thoughts on what definetly not to buy?
    • Any suggestions how many running hours a used engine should have the most if I would like to get another few (10?) years service out of it? I'll buy from a dealer.
    • What does one have to lookout for on a used saildrive? I guess the gasket should be renewed in any case.

Did you find some good places to shop for such an engine in Europe (I am in northern Germany)?

Many thanks for your thoughts and ideas,

Franziska

http://trimaranaquaris.jimdo.com/cruising-gallery/pictures/
    http://trimaranaquaris.jimdo.com/logbook/

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You will find that a sail drive and engine will cost you much more then an outboard. Since you have room inside for an engine why not put an outboard in a box where the inboard will go and thus get it off the transom. It will take up less room also. a 9.9 yamaha high trust engine will give you more power than a 15 hp. with a sail drive. I've seen one push a heavy 30' fishing boat up river against current with no problem.http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcathome/4/home.aspx 9.9 high trust only 106 lbs.

3. Franzi.v.B.

Hi,

thx for your thought.

I considered the outboard well, but for one part outboards are even less destined to have their leg in saltwater on a permanent base than saildrives (I have not enough space to raise it above CWL), for the second part outboard legs do not like to be submerged much deeper than their normal position (pressure issue).
    The saildrive would exit much deeper than the outboard to remedy the aeration issue.

Franzi

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

here are deminsions of a Tohutsu 9.8--make your box long enough so it can tilt up clear
    of the water. or lift it up and out of the water--get the shortest shaft possible-- design a braket that goes up and down. Don't have a heart attack when you price out sail drives. http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/tldi006d.html

5. Franzi.v.B.

Thx.

My cockpit floor is not high enough above sea level that I could lift an outboard underneath it. Apart from that, tilting would mean a long slot in the hull bottom which I do not like either.

Apart from this, guess we are getting off topic.

I AM AFTER EXPERIENCES WITH SAILDRIVE ENGINES.

I know their prices. The outboard which will be replaced is almost 20 years old.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

good luck with your project

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

[​IMG]

The Kubota 2.45 SD diesel, available in 10, 12 an 14 HP configurations. About $8,500 (USD)

As to the rest of your questions, most appear purely subjective or maintenance oriented, so answers will be the full range of possibilities.

8. sandy daugherty

sandy daugherty Senior Member

I have seen (at the Annapolis sailboat show) several smallish boats equipped with a saildrive under a Honda outboard powerhead. Its not a kluge job but a very professional installation. I'm told they are quiet, smooth and offer a lot of thrust at under ten knots, pushing a ballasted keel!

9. EyeForget

EyeForget New Member

"I AM AFTER EXPERIENCES WITH SAILDRIVE ENGINES. "

There may be a very good reason why you are not getting many experienced responses. However, I will give you some feedback on the Vetus choice.

Parts are absurdly expensive and can take months to obtain. Vetus engineering is not all that great, poor metalurgical and poor electronics.

"The farm mechanic in Timbuktu (or wherever...) should be able to fix it."

Forget it. I have a bad panel now and am experienced in electronics assembly. Most people would have to replace the board, I will take leads off the board (no wiring diagram for the innards of the board) and install an offboard solution, hopefully your farmer can do that. I've had a brilliantly designed aluminum to brass (check your galvanic table) fitting on the heat exchanger corrode (no provision for an engine anode - like some of the earlier Yanmars) between the two metals splitting the entire manifold case. The boat was down 6 months due to parts availability. You believe your farm mechanic will be able to weld and machine a new base on the manifold.

Your Yamaha weighs 47 kg. The Vetus engine alone weighs 98 kg plus another 30 kg for the saildrive.

10. Franzi.v.B.

Thanks,

I lean towards Yanmar or Beta, if is going to be a diesel, they seem to have a solid reputation and good sparepart availability.

The gas driven Clouds International 330.MK2 is still an option due to its light weight and the fact that I have a gas driven genni on board too.
    Still I have not found info on its long term reliability and complexity serviceability.

The outboard in a well is still an option, but I am pretty sure I have trouble fitting it. But I look into it. Trouble is the space & the handling of a heavy outboard in rougher conditions.

Outboard on a braket is out.
    To much at risk of getting damaged / soaked by waves, to much aeration and lets face it, also ugly..

Hugs & looking forward to more thoughts,

Franzi

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.