Another Gelcoat question

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Ron Donley, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Ron Donley

Ron Donley GlastronRON

I have a 1972 Glastron trihull 176 and im repairing cracks in the hull, I was reading here after i purchased my gelcoat that i should have purchased gelcoat with out wax and thin it with a 50/50 mixture with another material. Unfortunitly i ordered Gel-Kote from the Mahogany Company with wax. From what i understand is when I spray this a wax film will form over the gelcoat so that it can cure. If im spraying multiple coats do i need to sand the wax off before spraying again, and if i dont need to sand it how long do i wait between coats. Keep in mind that im thining the gelcoat with acetone.

Thanks Ron

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It's OK to have wax in it, just don't let it cure completely before applying the next coat, the surface needs to still be tacky. If it does cure tack free, then you need to sand and clean the surface before appying another coat. Add as little acetone as possible, adding too much will degrade the gelcoat, 5% should be OK.

3. Ron Donley

Ron Donley GlastronRON

thanks for the reply

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.