Engine room ventilation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Gayashan, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Gayashan

Gayashan New Member

Hi,
    I have to design engine room ventilation system.The machineries are as follows,
    1. 300kW diesel engine
    2. 30kw diesel generator
    Kindly tel me how to do the calculation for this.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I always calculate for 60 air renewals per hour plus the volume of air consumed by the engines. Only the net volume of the engine room should be taken into account.
    I do not know if there is a fixed standard for this so you will find many opinions.

3. Gayashan

Gayashan New Member

Thank you ,
    I have taken that in to my design .Using this,It gives 5500m3/hr flow rate. but engine emit 27kW heat to the engine room ,I use q=mc(t1-t2) eqn to find the flow rate .It gives 8000m3/hr flow rate (with the consumed Air). Kindly give me some advice .

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I have never calculated the heat emitted by the engine. It is assumed that, whatever the value, renewing the air 1 time per minute will cause the temperature not to reach exaggerated values. For outdoor air temperatures between 20-32 degrees, that number of renovations should be sufficient.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.