Exhaust backflow

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by partgypsy, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. partgypsy
    Joined: Jan 2007
    Posts: 29
    Likes: 0, Points: 0, Legacy Rep: 10
    Location: 20744

    partgypsy Junior Member

    I am replacing the 40 year-old exhaust on my 47' Chris Craft with 8v53 diesels. It originally had a cast iron backflow preventer in the 6" straight exhaust system. This item has rusted out and is no longer useable. I can't find a similar item to replace this. The riser on this engine is about 18" and the exhaust tips at the transom are the type that turn down and out at an angle and will help somewhat, but the exhaust is low to the water line and I don't feel safe without somthing to keep the water from rushing into the engine. Is backflow preventer the proper name for what I'm looking for, or are they called something else? I can't find them on the web. Would an industrial 6" iron check valve be the same thing?
  2. Bglad
    Joined: May 2010
    Posts: 175
    Likes: 5, Points: 18, Legacy Rep: 67
    Location: Jacksonville, Florida

    Bglad Senior Member

  3. apex1

    apex1 Guest

    Here you can find more:


    and if only the right terminology.


    Joined: Oct 2002
    Posts: 4,519
    Likes: 110, Points: 63, Legacy Rep: 1009
    Location: Conn in summers , Ortona FL in winter , with big d

    FAST FRED Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.