Exciting new kit boat prototype!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mluthi, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mluthi

mluthi Junior Member

2. hansp77

hansp77

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

It works for me, and it's very interesting project :)

4. hansp77

hansp77

ah raggi
    now you've got me all confused.
    seriously, it doesn't work for me.
    maybe it is a macintosh thing,
    maybe a safari thing.
    anyone else have a problem?

5. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Don't work for me ...that's strange:?:

6. mluthi

mluthi Junior Member

It works fine for me when I click on the links in the post. maybe some internet routing issue? Maybe you can run a tracert to see where it stops.

7. hansp77

hansp77

I have googled duncanson yachts, found their homepage, and tried links to them through other sites.
    Nothing works.
    Maybe a software thing.
    I run Mac osx 10.46
    and use Safari.
    on a G4 powerbook 1.67ghz.
    You'd almost think this was a computer forum.
    Oh well.
    I already have a boat....

8. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Did traceroute

Link does not work for me either, did a traceroute but domain name could not be resolved.

9. mluthi

mluthi Junior Member

Hi hansp77, sorry you can't see the link - would be interesting for you to see what happens down under. I really like the way the hull pieces are cut out with a CNC router. It all fits together nicely. the jointing system is similar to a puzzle, the pieces just click together. I think you can get the whole frame of the hull together in a few weeks.

Matt

10. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Didn't see this way of building before.. is it my shortcomming? It almost looks easy to build it ;-)

Is it a kit as you state it, or also a production boat as it looks when reading the site you refer to. Is this the first off? I don't find any pics on a finshed model.

What is the construction method of the hull?

11. mluthi

mluthi Junior Member

Hi Sander,

yeah the process is pretty nifty! (monocoque?) It is similar to the way an aircraft is built (I built a Van's RV7 recently) And it is easy to build no question there. You just "click" the interiour hull togheter, epoxy glue it and fair all the corners out. It's incredible stiff without the hull skin on already. Then you finish the interiour painting and everything that is easier to do inside before you start planking. Then you flip the whole boat over and start planking (klegecell strips) glueing the planks together (not to the boat) as you go. then you take (skin?) whole side off the boat (basically the hull) and lay up the fibreglass layer on the inside. Once it's cured you pop the sides back and epoxy glue them to the structure. After that you lay the fibreglass up on the outside of the boat and go from there. (hope I am making sense here - you might have guessed by the choice of my words that I am no boat builder myelf)

To give you an Idea about how quickly it comes together - Pieter is no boat builder - he has built one before but his day job is Property Manager. He has been on it since mid January 2006.

That way everyone can build this boat without the need for a mold.

It is a kit. And the boat you see under construction is the first of it's type. The designer (John Duncanson) has built and designed boats for many years.
    All parts are cut by a CNC router and extremely accurate. The kit will probably be split into different sub kits so the builder orders the next kit as he progresses through the building process. The first kit will be a flat packed stack of marine plywood with the parts 99% cut out. All you need is a jigsaw to break the parts out, clean them up and start clickin'.

so that the builder won't have to create his own molds for the Keel and the rudder these would be supplied completely finished or ready to be painted.

This building method makes a very strong and stiff hull and the great thing is that you have your interiour already there with rooms, doors, cubboards, storage, ventilation (double ceiling) etc. That would not be the case with a boat built from a mold and you basically get an empty hull that has to be filled with the interiour.

Matt
    Brisbane, Australia

12. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Sounds interesting but the link doesn't work with firefox.

13. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

Nor with Internet Explorer 6
    strange adress without www

14. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Hi Matt,

You really build a RV7?! finished the project allready? My boss is going through the process right now. He's really having a great time!

Your story makes sense, I like the approach. I wanted to order the CD this evening, unfortunately it seems the links can't be adressed to the site on my Mac at home, so I have to wait untill tomorrow at the office to try it on my PC again :-(

15. mluthi

mluthi Junior Member

This issue with the link not working is a bit of a worry - I'll try an see if I can fix it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.