Excelsior, an Atkin 'Cruising Canoe'

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by troy2000, Nov 6, 2010.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Ahhh… now it makes sense.

By the way, I've made so little headway on Egress/Cindy Lou in the last year that I may consider downsizing my ambitions, stacking what I've done in a corner, and going to work on Excelsior instead. I seriously thought I'd be retired by now, and boatbuilding full time. Instead, I'm not only still working but just accepted a promotion that's worth another $10.00 an hour. A year or two of that will pad my eventual pension nicely, assuming I live long enough to spend it. But it involves a nine week company school out in Playa Del Rey for starters, which means I probably won't even see my shop again until the middle of summer.

Maybe I'm better off tackling something that takes a lot less time to finish, getting it done, and enjoying it. I come from a long-lived family, so it doesn't necessarily mean that'll be the last boat I build...

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Good to see a post from you.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Seems life got in the way of your plans Troy, maybe the Egress is for later, if the Excelsior is going to happen first then please post some updates on the build . . :)

Do you still rent the Quonset hut near your work site ?

BTW, just for fun I've identified the MoToR BoatinG on Billy's desk, and as a consequence I've narrowed down the by Pat given picture date spread a bit, see the Random Picture Thread post #8448.

All the best !

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Proving once again you're the Queen of Internet Search. :)

Yep, still have the Quonset hut; I've used it to knock out a couple of small projects for friends. it also has a few Cindy Lou frames leaning against the end wall, temporarily bolted together and waiting for epoxy. At this rate they won't need encapsulating though, because the wood will have fossilized before final assembly.

5. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

What you're experiencing now Troy is a matter of all times for spare time boat builders, the conscience ones can't do otherwise than build well or not at all, like Billy and John said in MoToR BoatinG magazine Vol. 90, № 5, Nov. 1952, on page 41 . . .

motor boating magazine vol 90 nr 5 nov 1952 p 41 billy + john atkin on spare time boat building.jpg

Since I couldn't find the ± 29' Seabright Skiff Two Brothers topic boat of that article on the Atkins website I've linked the article in a thread on these forums...

- Atkin's Two Brothers, a 28' 9½" LOA raised deck pirogue-rigged Seabright Skiff, just for info.

Good luck !

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.