need help please motor rebuild evinrude!

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by gencer, Aug 16, 2011.

1. gencer

gencer Junior Member

HI guys
    i am rebuilding my evinrude but i have a promblem i forgot which way the piston rods go and piston heads on the engine bloke i need a diaghram or can some one just tell me? its a 2stroke 70HP 1978 model.. also how tight should i make the bolts when connecting the piston rods>???

thanks guys .

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

At the very least you need a manual to follow. Otherwise I fear for that engine !

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

4. gencer

gencer Junior Member

5. gencer

gencer Junior Member

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You have now the piston position. The con rod may not be a problem either way but the caps are and they should be marked, look very carefully for some mark to match up the cap position. It could be an X or and O or even 1-1 or 2-2.

As for torque I have not a clue but tell me the socket size that fits the nuts and i'lle have a guess.

7. gencer

gencer Junior Member

but the rods have a very small holl in them i thinks its to oil the bearings so i think it might mater which way they go but im not sure. i'll check asap for the markings and i'll also let you know the socket size. The thing is does all 3 of the pistons ment to be facing the same way ?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

These are all things that should have been addressed during tear down; that is carefully disassembling, marking and photographing so you know how things go back together. This is a tough lesson to learn but one you'll never forget.

You're asking questions so basic in nature, I question if you should be attempting this rebuild. At the very least, spend $30 and get a repair manual, before you make any more rookie mistakes.

9. gencer

gencer Junior Member

thing is i have many pictures and notes of the motor i have a picture that shows me which way the pistons go but when i took it out the last piston was opposite way so i am not sure whats going on. i also brought a manual today i'll have a look at it when i get home,... is there away to know becuase i think the holes in the piston are ment to line up with the holes on the engine block. also yer i am a rookie its my first rebuild thats why im asking for help :)

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes all the pistons face the same way and I think you'lle find the engine wont turn over if they are not. The con rod caps were machined as one and its critical that the caps go back the same way. The hole is important too, where is the hole in the rod, show a picture. If it critical the manual will address it.

Par is right.

11. gencer

gencer Junior Member

HI guys i found out that all piston heads that said 'up' means they all face up towards the flywheel and the holes in the ros mean it has to face the flywheel too. thanks guys.

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Amazing what happens when you read the book?

13. gencer

gencer Junior Member

yep it was all the book .... thanks guys ive done %70 now. hope i can fix it.. next hard thing might be tunning

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Did you say tunning it or turning it.!!

15. gencer

gencer Junior Member

tuning an outboard... my bad.. is it hard to do?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.