Evinrude E-tec 75hp or 90hp

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by sturra82, Jan 30, 2012.

1. sturra82

sturra82 New Member

Thanks for all the thoughts fellas. Just to let those people asking the question of condition, the hull is in excellent condition, in the process of replacing stringers at the moment as the right stringer had become soft and spongy but the centre and left stringers still in the same condition like they have just came out of the factory. The transom was still in very good condition with what looks like great care was taken when installing objects onto the transom (drilling holes for bolts, etc), but still replacing for a thicker transom. Thought i might as well do a complete overhaul while I had the grinder out.

The boat was my grandfathers and can remeber going out with him from an early age and was the boat that got me hooked on fishing and boating so i felt there was no way i could ever get rid of it. Just needs some new life breathed into it. Am now more then likely looking at the 75hp instead of the 90hp but will see when the time comes.

Also looking at dropping an underfloor fuel tank in it up the front and a live well as well while the floor was out. Also wondering if if anyone would be able to help me out with size of tank recomended (thinking of 50ltr at this stage) and if they thought it was a bad idea to have it moved more towards the front of the boat (this is to help spread load as i have dual batteries down the back along with 80ltr esky and installing live well as well.)

Thanks again for all thoughts.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I suspected earlier it must have been a "family pet" ! Just be careful you don't overload the thing with extra weight (including a heavy new engine) or else you may change the handling characteristics adversely, as well as be forced to cruise faster than is comfortable. It is, after all, a quite small boat.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Get a later out board less problems easy to get bits for and cheaper to run . Yamaha is lighter than one of those old clankers . better power trim and a smoother motor all round !!
    I went from old tired 70 hp omc to a yamaha 115 on a 14 footer !! goes like stink and i wont let anyone else drive it only me !! to dangerous !! but i love it !! :)

4. pcfithian

pcfithian Junior Member

Look closely at the specifications of both the 75 and 90 E-TEC. They are essentially the same engine. They will both have the same torque, which is more important than HP.

There will only be a few MPH difference on WOT speed.

Get the 75, it is less expensive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.