Evinrude 88 Salvageable?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by AuxiliaryComms, Apr 5, 2008.

1. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

I'm taking ownership of a 1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan with an Evinrude 88 outboard (I've got a thread going, about the boat, here). The outboard, I am told, is shot, and it certainly doesn't look like much. From what I've been told, the block is aluminum and was cast with iron sleeves in the cylinders. On its last patrol one of these cylinders broke loose.

I'm sure when it comes down to it I'm looking at a new motor but I've never dealt with any of this stuff before and I figure I can at least get some valuable experience out of tearing it apart and verifying that it is a write off.

I don't have a lot of info right now but I will be getting my hands on it in the next week or so so I will start putting through pictures and other info I come across.

For now, does anyone know more about these motors or this particular issue?

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

the blocks can be resleaved so aS LONG AS THE the block is ok the motor can be rebuilt either one cylinder or all four
    these are some great engine put 4000hrs on a pair on my work boat then regret selling them and repowering with (sorry no names) put back on some rebuilt 88spl and still going

3. AuxiliaryComms

That's good to hear. The rest of the damage appeared cosmetic to me so hopefully it's doable. I'll get some photos of everything next week and start going from there, but this is a positive start.

4. AuxiliaryComms

Well it ended up being a lot longer than a week but we got the boat over and I've got some photos and details to add.

When the motor broke down, it didn't break down entirely, the motor got the boat home but the side that the damage is on had no compression.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lower unit appears fine, I can grip the shaft and turn it easy so it just seems like the block is the only problem.

My thoughts are:
    1.) Try to salvage the block.
    2.) Try to replace damaged block with other evinrude block.
    3.) Try to replace with some block.
    4.) Electric conversion?
    5.) Replace whole unit.

Other than those thoughts I haven't a clue what to do next.

5. redtech

redtech Senior Member

it's time for a new block this one is not rebuildable
    still a ton of these out there you will be looking for a 88spl or 90hp engine
    the other option is to repower with something more modern

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.