Evinrude 200hp E-tec - what does white smoke mean?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Jonny88, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

I work for a dive centre running a 10m Humber with twin Evinrude 200's.

One of the engines has a lot of white smoke being emitted even when warm. Wondered if anyone knew what this might be a sign of???

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

J.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you running it on the hose or is it in the water?

3. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

It's in the water.

Water intake seems to be clear and telltale is flowing strongly :confused:

I'm sure the electronics would let me know of any serious issues before they occur but doesn't help getting to the bottom of the problem.

Other engine doesn't smoke/steam at all. Get a little bit on start up (as you'd expect to an extent) but then nothing as soon as it's properly running. Whereas this one is smoking/steaming a fair bit even after a 1 hour run @ 25kts by which time it's definitely warm!!

J.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

White smoke is usually too much oil. The electronics don't always tell you of a mechanical failure. It may be injecting too much oil. Have you compared oil consumption between the engines?

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

You comment that it may be steam. I take it there is no oil smell to it then. I'm thinking water, a gasket seal breach somewhere.

Is there any blue tinge to the white? No accessive oil consumption in those hours of operation you referred to?

Performance is good?

-Tom

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How do the spark plugs look?

7. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

Gonzo, oil consumption is equal between both engines. It's rigged with separate oil tanks for each engine and the consumption is nearly identical. Spark plugs are also OK.

Submarine Tom, performance is still good and haven't noticed a change. No it is completely white smoke/steam as opposed to having a blue tinge like the other engine does as you'd expect.

Thanks.

J.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ok, so it is getting too much oil, and there is no indication of water in the cylinders-the sparkplugs would show that. If it was overheating, the temperature sender should let you know and make the engine go into slow mode. Do you have temperature gauges or only overheat alarm?

9. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

Just overheat alarm. There are temp gauges on the console but they've never worked (not even sure what they're measuring!).

How would the spark plugs differ in appearance if there was water in the cylinders???

J.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The plugs would be washed out. The water will steam clean it. Try to get an infrared thermometer and make sure the engine is not overheating.

11. Jonny88

Jonny88 Junior Member

I see. Yes will do, cheers.

12. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

I have a nearly new E-tech (40) and I think the engine emits quite a bit of steam. I'll bet cooling water gets into the exhaust outlet a bit like a water cooled inboard w a water cooled exhaust. Can't imagine why the two engines should be different though.

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

in what atmospheric conditions do you see this 40c/100f desert air or what?

14. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I would go with water getting into the cyls too...white smoke from an engine is generally water/coolant whereas blue is from oil...plus you say oil consumption is not an issue. You might have a small tear in the gasket letting water get into one of the cyls. As Gonzo says... check the plugs, they will tell you.

15. pjssailor

pjssailor Junior Member

Hi. White is steam. Blue is oil. If the plugs are not showing any signs, look for a leak into the exhaust. You might even try to get a hand or something cool into the white "smoke" stream. God job of diagnosis. Still under warrenty?
    Cheers
    Lloyd (pjssailor)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.