Ever Heard of Revel Craft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by drewpster, May 18, 2006.

1. jameslewis111

jameslewis111 Junior Member

The fiberglass models were usually good boats all around, so were alot of the smaller wooden ones. It was mainly the larger wood boats that had problems. About 30' and up. I heard a story of a Revel hitting a navigational becon and splitting the boat down the middle, luckily nobody was hurt.

-Regards

2. sams0001

sams0001 Junior Member

Hey James Lewis If I remember correctly you are the grandson of the founder is that right? After your response I think you posted an earlier post stating the same info. Thanks again for the info. Trying to rebuild this craft slowly but I realy want to add some color to the lower level and captains area. I think then I will only enjoy it then. Any pros/cons.
    Sams

3. gluesniffer

gluesniffer Junior Member

sams0001: If your glass Revel made it this long and hasn't had a structural failure, I would think that you should be in good shape. If you are really concerned, you could always get a survey.

jameslewis111: I appreciate you posting information about your family's old company. Any stories, happy or sad, would be interesting, at least to me.

I've tried to compile a little informal history of a number of long-gone pleasure boat manufactures. I know so little of Revel-Craft, so it would be interesting.

Yeah, maybe some of the wood boats weren't so great, but the glass one's have held up well. I'm sure your grandfather would appreciate the fact that all these years later people are still enjoying working on, learning about and using his boats.

4. jameslewis111

I agree with what gluesniffer said, if ever in doubt ask a professional, this pretty much goes for everything in life. I would love to share some stories when I have some time. I know that after one of his factories burned down in the mid-70's he sold the company to some businessmen who didn't really know much about boats and soon shut down operations. I asked him once if he wished he had stayed in business, he said he had no regrets about selling the company and he was happy about it. It must have been rather stressful for one person trying to oversee every aspect of production. There was another company, Starcraft or something like that, he and few others tried to start up prior to his development of RevelCraft, didn't really pan out. I'll share some more history when I more awake.

-Regards

5. jameslewis111

Hey sams0001, one more thing before I turn in for the night. Yes I am the grandson of the founder, whos name I share. As far as cons, I'd ask if you remember what boat stands for?:)
    Also, would you happen to know what particular model your boat is? Just curious.

-Regards

6. sams0001

sams0001 Junior Member

Hey jameslewis111, can I call you James, or Lewis when responding to post? Its so late please remind me if the meaning of boat is not a whole in the water one puts money in? I've checked my pocket title for model, its not there. Is it located anywhere on the craft? Its a bit of a hassel to go to the safe deposit for documents now. First of the month better. So what about the pros!!!
    Regards

7. sams0001

sams0001 Junior Member

Hey gluesniffer, It is very hard to type your name even harder to say it. Whats up with the name. It makes me think Im doing something wrong. L&GOL (Laugh and gigle out loud). Thanks however for the input about the Revel Craft. I'm working on some before and after pics to share.
    Regards Sams

8. combo7

combo7 New Member

Hi

Hi i just bougth a 1972 Revell Craft in need of some restoration the witch my friend and i are starting tomorrow any tips will be aprecieted i'll keep u guys updated on the process..

Attached Files:

9. sams0001

sams0001 Junior Member

Combo 7 thats a great looking craft. Doing engine work this spring gotta go for now. Lets chat again.
    Sams

10. tpaddack

tpaddack New Member

I have a 74 24' that I have a question on. Has anyone tried to get the screens out from the window frame? It seems like they were designed to pop out, but I don't want to break anything. Has anyone gotten them out?

11. Waterman jones

Waterman jones New Member

Revel craft

I have converted a revel craft and a revline into work boatsand i beleive they make a solid vessal but if any of you guys have any info like wheel size for my new project i have cut down a 1970 24' revline but when i perchased the boat it didnt come with a strut or propeller does any one know the angle of the shaft so i can find a strut to line up also wheel demensions thank you

12. SunnyStreet

SunnyStreet New Member

Not sure if anyone is still browsing this but neighbor just asked if I wanted to buy his 18-ft 1959 Revel Craft with a 1958 Evinrude engine - all original parts to finishing restoring. I can't even find anything on this boat? Any ideas? he's asking around 3200. for it so I'm not sure what to even ask for this boat. any thoughts thanks!

13. Fix all

Fix all New Member

My dad's Revelcraft.

Mr. Lewis, I have recently purchased a 1971 28' sport fish, which might be my father's boat . Do you have any way to check hull numbers to see who the original owner was? I'm thinking of trying to contact the treasury since the boat was documented. By the way my dad also used to sign master Carpenter certificates for your Grand father on the fiberglass models. They are built like tanks. This boat had been repowered to operate as a tow boat. I would like to put it back on plane to use for fishing off Ocean City. Dad's boat came with a 318. This has a 360 w/ velvet drive. I don't know what ratio transmission or prop I need to get back on plane. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.