Ever Heard of Revel Craft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by drewpster, May 18, 2006.

1. drewpster

drewpster Unlubberly

I own a 24' 1968 Revel Craft Revelier with an inboard M273 Chrysler engine and a velvet drive transmission. She has a step down cabin and a hard top. A picture of it is in my gallery. I have only been able to find a very small amount of information on this make of boat. That is to say, I have find one or two for sale on the internet and I recently purchased an old ad page out of a magazine from the 1960's selling Revel Craft boats. If anyone has any information about this make please post or email me. Even if you just remember them as a child.
    Thanks

2. lakeguy

lakeguy New Member

I owned a 30' 1968 Revelcraft. They were made in MD. Production stopped in the early 70's. The design was marginal as frames were widely spaced and the bottom flexed in the slightest sea. I had heard that the CG had issued a position statement that owners should be sure to check bottom fasteners regularly.
    The boat had a single Chrysler 318 engine. I bought in 1972 and traded it in 1977. I heard it went back to nature in the early 80's. There were models up to 33' and some fiberglass models also. An interesting point is that John Luhrs was listed as the Master Carpenter on the paperwork I filed when I documented the boat.
    Lakeguy

3. dturner384

dturner384 Junior Member

1968 Restored revelcraft!

Hey Drewpster!

I just moved my 1968 Rvelcraft to Lake Travis! She was on Grand Lake in Oklahoma for over 40 years! A good friend of mine sold her to me in this "restored" condition!

You've got a great boat! Take good care of her!

Dave

Attached Files:

4. crash4wd

crash4wd Junior Member

i have a 1969 24 revel craft just got her and slowly restoring it and was wondering what prop you run on this boat the one i have doesnt seem to be right

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  5. dturner384

dturner384 Junior Member

Propeller Type

Wow! Your boat is in great shape... we both have the 24 ft, Key largo model! The propeller on my boat is a three blade (the original), and I am unshure of the pitch of the blades or type that it is. I rarely see it since the boat stays in the water year round. Did the trailer come with yours?

6. crash4wd

crash4wd Junior Member

thanks it looks little better now fresh bottom paint new cushions and curtains fresh floor and i just redid the all the wood around cockpit.No its at a marina right now that was my friends trailer he let me borrow when i got the boat.I am not getting the speed i would like to out of this boat do you know what speed you are getting i can only get maybe 15mph but my prop doesnt seem right

7. dturner384

dturner384 Junior Member

12 Mph

Hello!

It's great to hear from someone with my same boat! Sorry for the late reply, but I've been pretty tied up.

After new bottom paint, my Revelcraft Key Largo, got about 15 mph, but since the bottom has a fresh coat of algae, she only does about 12 mph. The Tach typicall reads 2850 with 2 persons on board at full speed. I don't think there is anything wrong with your prop, and it sounds like we are getting the exact same performance.

Does your boat ever have a strong gas smell when fully topping it off? I'm having a mechanic look at my fuel tank this week. :(

Cheers,

David

8. crash4wd

crash4wd Junior Member

speed

sorry for the late reply i recently changed the prop to a 14 12 cupped and still wasnt getting speed i want but i had friend look at it and the timing was off we advanced the timing and the boat took off it does 25 now and i going to change the prop again to a 13 13 my tach is wrong so i dont know the rpm but about my tank, my tank was recenly replased so i dont have any prblems with it.

9. airbusmike

airbusmike Junior Member

We have a 24' Key Largo 1975. My father bought it brand new and is still in the family. We keep it in L.I. it's all fiberglass. Our boat does 27-28 mph with a 260 hp MerCruiser. 4600 rpm. The prop is a 12/11 and works much better than a 13/13. The gas smell is very normal. The vents are where you drive the boat, on the outside. I'll send photos if you like.

Mike

10. jimthepilot

jimthepilot Junior Member

1959 Revel Craft 16' Convertable

Just aquired a 1959 Revel Craft 16' Convertable. Looking for general info, paint colors, ect. Cant find much at all on Revel Craft boats.

Anyone with any info to share would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

11. airbusmike

airbusmike Junior Member

They were built in Arnold Maryland. I think production stopped in the late 70's I think. Also, I think the boat you have was called a Revline. You must have the wooden model? I will send you a brochure on your model with a link to it.

12. jimthepilot

Yup shes wood. I believe that your right in that they were called Reveline's too, mine is the 16' "Convetable". Has the original Revel Craft chrome logo on the dash. Also the 1964 Merc 50hp with electric start and an alternator.

I think that I may have found some of the original bottom below the water line color under the current dark green paint> A light almost lime green color?????.

The few black and white photos of similar erra Revel Crafts that Ive seen shows that the bottoms were a very dark color? I am assuming that the rest of the Revel Craft hulls were white? Mine is an off white but there is a whiter white under that.

Did not see any other Revels with any kind of stripes or logo's on the sides?

I have the original canvas top and sides which are a light "mint" green which I is fadded out but in serviceable condition. The steering wheel is an original Revel Craft but it is red?????

So, any info would be great.

I see that your screen name is airbusmike, theres the saying going around, "if its not a Boeing were not going"

You will have to let me know where your working, Im part 91 Corporate her in DAL in a Citation II, King Air 350 and C90.

13. airbusmike

airbusmike Junior Member

Yes, I'm a big Airbus fan. A300 to be exact. Even though people call them "Scarebus" I own a Aviation Paper called (The Aviator Newspaper) due to the economy we put the paper into a hold for the next few months. This is something that is a hobby of mine and my family owns a publishing company here in New Windsor, NY. So, when times are better, we will put it back into service. You can check out theaviatornewspaper.com and click our bio's. The website is on hold as well.........Yes, the steering is red on the craft. My father has some old magazines from the 60's and 70's as reference. Most of the bottoms were in black, as well as our boat with red stripes. Like to see some of your photos of your boat. I'll send some of our boat when I get some time.

14. jimthepilot

Attached Files:

15. jimthepilot

Had her out for the first time last Saturday. She didnt sink which is a great thing! Bottom all patched and very tight now. The Epifanes was still a little tacky in spots as I had painted on the numbers and touched her up on Friday night.

The original speedo still works, was indicating about 24 on smooth water. Planes and steers like a dream, very smooth old girl that just flys. Taking it easy on the old girl in the chops, dont want to be crashing that old wood bottom too hard but she cuts through very nicely at a pretty good reduced speed.

The old Mercury needs a starter so Im having to pull rope her but she runs great. 5 hours of actual run time and she used almost one 6 gal. tank of fuel, not too bad.

Id say that Ive got something here. Shes a great old boat and looks pretty good too now. The open forward window design is wonderful.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.