Mayline straight edge installaion.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jratte, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Jratte

Jratte Junior Member

I just received a 60" Mayline straight edge for my drafting table. I've got the hardware but there weren't any installation instructions included. Anyone care to tell me how to install. TIA.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Gadzooks Jratte! I thought that parallel straight edges went out with buggy whips. Actually I still have one on my board. To hell with those infernal computer thingys.

Heres how. The string or cable is anchored at the top or bottom of the board. There will be two anchoring posts with a knurled nut to adjust the string tension as well as the parallelism of the straight edge stick. Let us say that you will attach those posts to the bottom of the board, the part nearest your belly button. Start at on end of the string...say it is anchored at the lower right corner of the board. The string is going to cross itself inside the straight edge, Run the string up from the first anchor position to the top of the Lower right pulley in the stick, continue to the bottom of the upper left pulley, around that pulley to the upper right, then back diagonally to the lower left and out of the stick. Fasten the remaining end of the string to the lower right end of the board and adjust as necessary.

This is sort of a puzzle, but easy when you do it one time. I do use an infernal computer but my antiquated straight edge, triangles, splines, and ducks like me better.

3. Jratte

Jratte Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.