Europe more dangerouse than USA? (gunshots vs terror threat)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Raggi_Thor, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ha ha ha... good post, Daniel. "Pay your $14!" :)

I can think of places in Maine that I have felt as nervous as the worst parts of New York (I have lived in both places). It's funny because people would never think of Maine as a scary place, yet I have had an attempted robbery on me there and seen some extremely violent behavior, including a shooting in Portland's waterfront. Some of those guys are crazy up there, but this is my point:

The reputation of a place is only just a general trend. Even in a place like Maine, where people think it is not dangerous, there is danger.

For the record, I was never the victim of any crime in all my years living in Manhattan (NYC), despite taking late night rides home alone, drunk on the subway and going to random parties and secret little clubs. Yes, those late night, drunk rides were when I didn't find a girl! ha ha The one time I was the victim of an attempted robbery was in Maine. Go figure.

2. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

We get a distorted view of the world and risks from the media.
    I am not talking here about bias or lies just the topics that are covered.
    Most items in news bulletins are bad news.
    Any airplane crash anywhere in the world makes the national news.
    If you just relied on the media you would believe airplane crashes were the main cause of death.

Worldwide commercial crashes/incidents in 2009 were 24, 14 of which involved fatalities totaling 698. in the same period roughly 50,000,000 died of other causes.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I have a bee bee gun and a 20 gauge I cant get shells for easily

oh and a water soaker somewhere

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Why would you have trouble finding shells for s 20g shotgun? That's the second most common bore in the country.

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

it uses a different length than is common today and it's magazine fed

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The only magazine-fed shotguns I'm familiar with are Mossberg bolt action shotguns. To the best of my knowledge they all accept 2 3/4" shells, which are widely available.

But if your shotgun only accepts only 2 1/2" shells, they're still made in England. Here's a source of English ammo, but you'd probably have to buy it by the case. That's the way I usually buy anyway, but apparently you don't shoot much:

http://oldtimeangler.tripod.com/index/cartridges.htm

If you only want a box or two for home defense or to try the gun out, you might get some here. I've never dealt with them, though; I just googled them:

http://www.bankstowngunshop.com.au/products/category/CBBPHTOC

Of course, if you wanted to start shooting regularly, you'd be a lot better off just buying another shotgun; what you saved in ammo prices would pay for it in a hurry. You might also have the chamber bored to 2 3/4", if you can find a reliable gunsmith with the sense to tell you whether the chamber and barrel have enough meat to handle it.

Personally, I'm not big on wall hangers or closet anchors. If I had a gun I couldn't get ammo for, I'd probably get rid of it....

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

at the moment I need my money for other things< I got the shotgun as a kid don't even want to think how long ago

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Do you know what make it is, and approximately how old? If it's something I'm interested in, I might make you an offer.

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I think it came from sears, I'd have to dig it out

it's needs cleaning and re bluing

it's a 3 round box mag bolt

i found it, thebore appears in very good condition, has scale on the outside cleaning and bluing would take care of that

action is good

it's a ranger 101.2, savage/stevens

sears et all, I don't think they are worth anything as collectibles , they made a trillion of them

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm going brain-dead; I forgot all about the Stevens bolt-actions. Does yours have an adjustable choke on it? Stevens mostly put their own on them, but I used to have a Stevens 20g with a Polychoke on it, and the previous owner swore it came that way brand-new.

By the way, most shotguns with magazines were designed to hold two in the clip and one in the chamber, rather than three in the clip.

You should definitely be able to use 2 3/4" shells in yours, and they're easy to find.

You're right about it not having resale value, though. By the time I added in shipping and the dealer's fee for receiving it, I couldn't offer you more than $50 for it. But that's a reflection of market value, not an indication that the Stevens bolt actions are poorly made. People got a lot of gun for their money, back when they were buying them new from Sears.

11. mark775

mark775 Guest

"I still find it strange that we (the media) talks so much about terror risk when other risks are many times higher." - You just wanted to stir some ****. Troy is better at this topic than I, but let it be known that I do feel strongly about your prejudices.
    Notice the areas of the US that are slightly darker on your graph. Those are also areas where Europeans travel when vacationing in the US. Remember Masalai taking a US vacation and wanting information on what detonator for what explosives and how much ammo he wud need to travel from San Fransico to the Grand Canyon? Are Europeans the real culprits when it comes to violent crime in the US?
    We can distort this any way you want but in your Eurotopia my tax dollars have been protecting since WWll (and before) I feel decidedly less safe than any place I frequent in the US. Without having to spend money on anything beyond your pissant militaries, one wud think you people cud afford some police. Again, in Norway, sitting on a pool of oil and raping fisheries the world over, and where everyone looks the same, speaks the same, has the same history (and genetics, uncle dad), it is mighty easy to sit back and be smug about how smooth everything works for you. We have some other considerations in this melting pot.
    That said, we have had a couple of terrorist happenings here. I can't count the ones in Europe (Nobody eats lye fish and we can watch ski jumping on TV, so there is certainly no reason to go to Norway). Homicides... well homicides are how you draw the line and they are not, as Troy said, as related to guns as one might think. Also, as Troy said, it is almost entirely punk on punk crime and an argument can be made that we shud give them more guns and ammo. There is actually more vilent crime, per capita, in Canada than the US so I don't know what biased source you used and you are propogating things not supported by viable research.
    How F'ing dare you negatively relate safety in my country to Europe. We are mostly from European stock so I consider myself brothers with many there (less Norway, to be sure) and in the same boat. For you to make aspersions about the safety of traveling here when, face it, terrorism is one danger we can do little about and there are more Muslims in Europe than the US (therefore, as a percentage, more likely to be more Jihadists) and the biggest terror event here was hatched in Germany, I believe you are just stepping way over the line. The fact remains, IMO and that of the CIA, that a risk of terrorist attack is probably greater in Europe than the US. I do not believe that many US citizens will avoid travel to Europe for that reason...finances, maybe, arrogance of some Europeans maybe but as a people, we are not fearful. So, if you wud, shut your hole.

12. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Some facts and figures first..

Attached Files:

13. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Mark and others :)
    Sorry if you took this too seriously.

Thanks to CatBuilder for explaining that "the warning" was not about "not going to Europe", but more like "Americans need to step up their awareness while in major tourist areas". I see the difference.

I see the same trend here as in most other threads on this forum, we discuss issues based on faith, believes, feelings and not on facts or numbers, and people start to insult each other or feel insulted. That's a pity.

Troy thought I sounded insulted, I apologize for that, I just thought the whole issue was strange and a bit interesting, That's all.

Before I shut up, just let me give you some facts and figure to think about:

From US Bureau of Justice,
    http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/relationship.cfm
    '[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, from
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1730293/pdf/v011p00332.pdf
    Compare the statistics for terrorism causalities vs road crashes,
    [​IMG]

So, to sum this up without being arrogant or insulting, why are so many of us afraid of the most unlikely dangers while we accept the familiar and well known risks around us, like spouses, boyfriends and traffic??

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Why do they call it "tourist season" if you can't shoot them?

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

Fair enuf. Let's look at graph #1 in your most recent post. By your argument that we are concerned too much with terrorism and shud concentrate on larger threats, and becus you included this graph, it shud be surmised that the first thing to be done is eliminate "unknowns" then, of course, "friends and acquaintances". Not much of a threat from "strangers", "intimates" and "non-intimate family" so we can leave them alone.
    Moving on to the following table, the bold print states "In 14% of all murders, the victim and the offender were strangers". Tho this newfound information counterdicts exhibit 1, the first graph, the government knows what's best for us and if they put it bold, obviously we shud look at that. Pass it on to one of Obama's czars.
    The next graph tells us everything we need to know; "nongun homicides have surpassed gun homicides among intimate and nonintimate family but not so with friends, acquaintances and strangers". I have the answer! - family members shud not be allowed to have non-gun items that can be the tool of homicide and all others shud be prevented from having guns.
    One more chart. Oh, simple - countries with many wide-open roads have more deaths and countries with a high percentage of winding little cliff roads have more deaths. Straighten out the roads in Greece, make 'em bendy in the US. I think we can wipe our hands of this, now.
    One last thing, since we are not including centuries of terror in the UK before Tony Blair, since there didn't happen to be any mall bombings in Spain by Zetas or whoever or the bombing that did happen just killed the bomber and broke some windows in a SEAT and not much else, since the train bombs didn't happen in the years chosen to present in this graph, since we're not including the Balkans, since the lines of Europe can be drawn how you like it and smart people say "sure! - a big happy family. Let's invite everybody into the Union and NATO (up until the point that Russia drives tanks into Georgia, then we're not so sure about that NATO part, and up until the fifty hour-work-week Germans bail out the twenty hour-work-week Greeks to the tune of $140 Billion, then we're not so sure about the Union part either)", well, suffice to say, European lines can be a little flexible and the year makes a huge difference (we had a kook mix fertilizer and diesel at the federal building in Oklahoma City and some YMMs (Young Muslim Males) took out their aggressions lately on cultures that comparitively make their's look positively fourth century). Change the years a bit and the number of terrorist deaths in the US is "zero" and Lord knows how many people have been messed up by terrorism in Europe. Maybe you people shud leave to be safe (or stop the influx of YMMs - No, that's just crazy talk.)
    Guns? Well, they are the biggest reason for this thread, right? Probably best that you don't come here. We eat, sleep, and dream guns (a wonder we have time to make babies with all of the shooting here but what's a gun but a big ***** substitute, anyway?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1CkPcICaY - Looks pretty safe to me there...Uh, not by bus or train tho - those things are death-traps in Europe. Are you ever going to do something about that?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.