EU generators

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by george allard, Jan 14, 2007.

1. george allard

george allard Junior Member

Does anyone make a generator conparable to the Honda EU3000. Honda prices are outrageous.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Honda prices only seem outrageous because there is cheaper competition. Anything of comparable quality will be of comparable price.
    The EU3000 is equipped with a sophisticated solid-state inverter power system, intended to provide clean AC power at a very constant frequency. This is a good feature if you're powering computers and scientific equipment, as many people who use these machines do. It's kind of wasted on a hedge trimmer though.
    Keep in mind also that Honda generators have a reputation for lasting forever. I am familiar with several of their machines that have been in use for decades with no major maintenance and no failures of any kind.
    If you want a cheaper generator, buy a cheaper generator. Just don't expect it to act like a Honda.

3. Mikey

Mikey Senior Member

Very very true and just about the best advice in a long time marshmat, I concur to 100%

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

We used Honda generators in the bush to operate transmission stations. They run about 120hrs a week. Generators lasted for years.

5. george allard

george allard Junior Member

I wasn't saying that they were not good units. I was just trying to see what else is out there. Parts prices on Honda engines are really high. Example, a plastic air filter housing on a 1600 watt generator is $98. We tryed several 20 hp Honda engines, in the oilfields with bad results. We went to a 20 hp Kohler which are lasting 3 times longer then the Honda. Price is about the same. I am not looking for the cheap Chinese junk, just a good solid replacement for the Honda's.

6. StianM

StianM Senior Member

Honda make in my opinion the best gasoline engines on earth. There V-Tec has ben running for 12-13 years now and still they had no claims on the mecanical parts from what I heared.

If you go for diesel I think the kubota has a good reputation and nice price.

7. jerniganracing

jerniganracing Junior Member

iNVERTER GENERATORS

I Recently Bought A Kipor Inverter Generator Off Of Ebay. I Use It On My Boat It's Called A Kipor 3000 Hti It Was A Little Cheaper Than The Honda And Similar In Quality. The Generator Is Rated At 2600 Watts, Or 19.3 Amps, It Weighs About 57 Lbs And Will Run A 10,000btu Air Conditioner, I Run A Microwave After The Ac Starts, And A 1500 Watt Water Heater With It, This Unit Costs About $800.00 After Shipping The Unit Works Very Well And We Bought Some Kit For Extended Run Fuel Tank Kit, But You Can Go To Your Local Hardware Store And Find Fittings And Fuel Line And Do It Your Self For A Lot Less Money. This Generator Is Very Quiet, And Uses About A Half Gallon Of Gas Per Hour Under A Load