ethanol resistant resin

Discussion in 'Materials' started by peterf123, Mar 23, 2012.

1. peterf123

peterf123 Junior Member

Has anyone ever found the solution to building fiberglass gas tanks that will hold 10% ethanol fuel without destroying the tank and/or engine? I'm sure there is an ethanol resistant resin out there, just not sure where to buy it. Anybody know?

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

3. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

R&G epoxy-C is one. I have a test coupon in a 50% ethanol-unleaded gas mix for 2.5 years and going that is holding up well with same stiffness , no delamination, discoloration or flaking. A bit viscous though and somewhat hard to wet out.

Many brands of vinyl ester are also used but someone else will have to be specific as I've only used a locally mixed product for a header tank.

MGS L-160 with 163 hardener has been used successfully in epoxy glass aircraft fuel tanks. A resin microballoon-fumed silica (cabosil) initial coat will also help prevent wicking up the fibers.

Shell Epikote 162 with Epikure 113 hardener is a legacy system not of much interest.

Dino

1 person likes this.
  4. peterf123

peterf123 Junior Member

Where can I get R&G Epoxy-C?

5. peterf123

peterf123 Junior Member

Another question. Anyone know how to make fuel tanks out of anything other than metal or fiberglass? Is there any way I can use some sort of plastic?

6. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

7. peterf123

peterf123 Junior Member

unfortunately, it does not seem that they ship to the united states. I just dont know what to do...

8. peterf123

peterf123 Junior Member

For anyone who is interested, i think i found a solution. On expresscomposites.com, they claim to have a resin which is ethanol resistant. It is the AOC F764 resin. Its really not too expensive either.