Ethanol Prices Collapsing

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ike, Oct 20, 2014.

1. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

how come the rest of the world can do the above without ethanol?
    fixing the cars fixed the air, LA 1980 to now is like chalk and cheese
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2014/04/20/its-final-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/

renewables was why the law was created we have the same scam in Australia and we are a net exporter of energy DOH
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Independence_and_Security_Act_of_2007

2. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Ethanol I think appealed to the green idea of growing your own fuel to save the planet, a global warming thing, and lessen use of dinosaur 'fossil fuel', which people keep saying is about to run out. Lessen dependence on OPEC.

Ethanol turns out to be none of those things and is a scam. Make gas 10% ethanol and your MPG can drop 10%. Are you saving any gasoline? NO, you get less MPG. You have to burn more gas to go the same distance.
    It varies how much MPG drops, but my mid 90's Buick, it dropped 10%. I imagine boats now use 10% more fuel to got the same distance. Anything that pulls a lot of power from the motor you will notice much lesser MPG.
    If you ran e85, and a carb, you have to double the fuel flow rate. Fuel to air ratio goes to 7 to 1 from 15 to 1. Alcohol does not have as much energy in itself, so to develop the same power you must use a lot more fuel.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

If you want to research LA air , read 2 Years Before the Mast.

The Indians would (about 1840) transit the valley in a single day,

BAD AIR was their reason.

Sort of a stupid place to build a town?

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Rather!

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Ethanol issues

Here's the latest on the Ethanol issue. Small Equipment manufacturers lose.

Owners of outdoor power equipment—mowers, blowers and such—were handed another defeat this past week when an appeals court rejected a suit by a number of industry stakeholders to limit the amount of ethanol in gasoline and require stricter labeling. Ethanol can damage the small engines in outdoor power equipment.
    https://homes.yahoo.com/news/owners-outdoor-power-gear-suffer-ethanol-defeat-163000487.html

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I have been thinking of buying an electric chain saw.

Electric motors are good, if you have electric power.

7. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

I have an electric chainsaw (comes with detachable polesaw), in addition to my Husqvarna 340 gas chainsaw. The electric works well, but you need to remember to use a lower-viscosity chain oil in really cold temps. With a gas chainsaw, the heat of the engine keeps the oil warm and runny.

Blessed to still be able to get ethanol-free gasoline here in the middle of corn country (although it is getting harder to find...).

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I have been thinking of buying an electric chain saw.

When you purchase the unit be sure to look and only buy one with a universal motor..
    That means it will have brushes and although not labled as such will work on AC or DC.

With a conventional motor the unitb eats so many watts to work.

Say 10A on 120V for 1200W

Lower the voltage with 4 long power cords to 100V and the 1200W will demand 12A , from that long power cord.

80V still requires 1200W , or 15A , which may melt the cord, or the motor with 50% higher amperage used.

Give a brushed motor 80V , and it thinks its an 80V motor , less strong than a 120V motor , but no white smoke and most work just fine at lower voltages.

9. Rastapop

Rastapop Naval Architect

I'm not a fan of ethanol, because it uses valuable farmland and pushes up crop prices, but you are incorrect: 10% in your petrol means your MPG will drop about 3%, not 10%.

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

10% in your petrol means your MPG will drop about 3%, not 10%.

This depends on the car smarts.

Ethanol has a high octane rating , so a brand new smart computer that advances the spark and listens for knock and retards the ignition for each cylinder and each spark event might not suffer as much.

With a carb ,and old car 10% is sadly the loss .

The volume of fuel required is higher per mile driven , so the tax man is pleased at the almost useless filler.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.