Estimating Hull Material Cost?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Mastadon, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Mastadon

Mastadon Junior Member

Is there a way to get a rough idea of what the cost for hull material will be for a boat design you dont have? If you have LOA, LWL, waterline beam, overall beam, draft, could you use these dimensions to get a rough surface area and translate into cost for aluminum or steel. How could you estimate the amount of framing you would need?

I don't imagine any professional boat builders would be willing to share hull material cost of their projects, but that would sure be cool.

Im trying to reign in my boat dream to something realistic so I can decide on a design I might actually afford.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Assuming your not building some huge boat you can easily get a close estimate. Using 5086 aluminum the side and floor frames would be 1" x 3"x 1/4" angle at 30" on center. The stem and keel would be 3/8" or 1/2" plate x 4" or 5".
    Bottom stingers (5) would be 1/4" x 1" x 3" plate and side stringers 4) 3/16" x 1" x 2" plate. Bottom siding 3/16" or 1/4" and sides 1/8" and maybe 3/32". It all depends on size and use. This should be good to 28' x 10' but should be heavier for rough seas. Hope this helps. With steel you can reduce by 1/16"
    and probably be safe. Figure out the rough sizes per square foot or lineal feet to get a list. Aluminum is sold by weight.
    Here is a 24' x 8'-6" the cuddy sport that has a complete aluminum list of materials for study, https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=814 Best to you, Stan

3. Mastadon

Mastadon Junior Member

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. Would such an approach not work for something bigger? 50'-60' range. I probably don't need to do the calculations to know this would be unaffordable but I wanna.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Check the Glen-L site I posted for Cuddy Sport under steel cruisers for material lists for larger boats. Also, larger sail boats out of steel. I priced the Cuddy Sport out in aluminum in 2007 and it was close to 10 grand for materials.

5. Mastadon

Mastadon Junior Member

thanks again man.

6. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

if you go to my gallery there is a 54 ft yacht, quite a substantial deck salon , from memory was 7 tonnes alloy

7. Mastadon

Mastadon Junior Member

8. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Mastadon, I think thats probably a "scrap" price, once you buy it back made into some plate or flat bar its probably x 10? & by the time its fabricated into a boat plenty more. Regards from Jeff

9. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

aluminum prices

I got a quote couple months ago buying around 1000 lbs 5052 plate 3/16" and 1/4" $1.30 a pound that was the lowest, highest was $3 for the same stuff. I did buy 4 sheets of 1/8" that came out to $1.60.
    Price varies a lot depends on whom you talk to that particular day, pays to shop
    Tom

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

5083 is 4.600 to 4.800 € per metric ton at present (flat plates) in central Europe!

11. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Steel for my 36 was around $9500 a couple of years ago, then it jumped up, then dropped. A guy got a quote of $8,000 this spring.
    Brent

12. Mastadon

Mastadon Junior Member

ordering the steel sandblasted and primed increase the price much?

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

No, almost standard.

14. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Brent, you can probably buy the whole steel mill for not much more than that right now, it's just sitting there unused on the Hamilton shoreline ;)

How much pricing variation have you guys been seeing from supplier to supplier / day to day for steel and Al? The rates on the commodity exchanges fluctuate like crazy, and I have a hard time believing that those fluctuations find their way down to the shop floor in anything close to real-time.

15. rogersims

rogersims New Member

Estimating cost when factoring in wastage, cutting costs etc.

Can I ask for a bit more detail on costs from anyone as the above is great but I guess really depends on wastage from each flat sheet and cutting costs as well. I'm thinking of a 35-40 foot range as a target, probably in steel.

What kind of wastage would be seen in cutting from from flat sheet (assuming cnc cut by a shop) An 6 ton hull probably started as 8 tons of raw sheet for example?

Much difference seen cutting Aluminium sheet (logc says no) and similar rough costs of cut sheet for anything 35 - 40 foot in Aluminium would be great.

To simplify it can anyone cite costs for sheet, cut and delivered for something 35 - 40 foot ? Or provide a realistic guestimate? (I'm UK based but any info is good)

Just working out if it's worth the effort building something myself and also considering Wharrams. Yes, a totally different kettle of fish but I can see fairly transparent material costs compared to getting metal related costs.

Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.