speaker design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mere, Sep 4, 2010.

1. mere

mere Junior Member

hey guys, Im an industrial design student and our latest project is to
    design a left and right speaker. Im trying to collect feed back from sailors and
    I would love to hear your opinions.

Im not redisigning any electrical componets, my interest is in redesigning
    the use/interaction with the product (if it could be better) and the speaker
    housing/design

So tell me a few things, maybe something you've always complained about to
    others, why something was bad, or why something was good. Are you a liveaboard sailor, etc. Maybe the social interactions that come about from it. Tell me where your speakers are located, how you installed them, etc.. I hope to improve your lives one day

2. dskira

dskira Previous Member

You mean a fog horn :D

Daniel

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I'd like to see speakers with handy volume and tone controls on them. Also a radio. Maybe a cd player mounted somewhere. There could also be a battery bank for listening where there's no outlets.
    Also a very pretty blond girl to hold it for me and compliment me on my boat work. Maybe she could sing softly along with the music, maybe not, depending on her voice.

4. spare parts

spare parts Junior Member

personally I need speakers that are not suseptable to salt water intrusion or damp enviroments or fish remnants,
    perhaps stainless steel speaker frames and non ferrous materails or sealed in such a way as to not inhibit performance of sound but still keep out contaminants... the surrounds should be made possibly of carbon fiber directional, or kevlar.. or some material that simply doesnt rot or decay from weather or sun. voice coils should be made of perhaps coated monel wire.
    with plastic isolaters. terminal ends should be made of stainless or solid brass perhaps plated with gold simply for corrosion protection > its been proven there is no significant loss in quality or power out put using brass or even tinned termninals over gold plated ones . so the gold plating would be for corrosion protection only.
    if your desighning a encloslure it also should be fabricated of a proven material that gives the best rigidity and weather proofing qualitys. it should also be made as compact as possible and still retain its abiltiy to perform throuhout its desired frequency spectrum. carbon fibre could possibly achieve those quality speacilly unidirectional. also a baot tends to exibit the same acoustical property of a large home and therefore needs to have force cones at a flatter angle than those used in mobile audio systems so that the sound isnt so directional , similar to concert or theater speakers. also it might be a consideration to make a sort of adjustable porting sytem for the enclosuer so that it can be tuned to it location specifics perhaps a tuning diaphram.and last but not least a adjustable frequency reponse for multiple speaker applications.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Wireless, low power draw, hi gain, infinite power limit, full Hz response, paper thin, self adhearing, inexpensive, non-corrosive, long life, weather proof, abrasion proof and asthetically pleasing.

-Tom

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

ha ha ha. I just want a speaker with volume control. I have 10 speakers around my boat and can never get volume right. The multiple blonde idea works for me also but they would have to be twins so their hearing levels would be same.

7. yipster

yipster designer

yeah but most of that is still hard to get

8. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

He asked, I answered...

9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

[​IMG]

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yeah right. I don't want 'one day', better make that a cash donation right now. If you're doing it for later it better be something like a personal heart lung machine... or something.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

rofl...

joke of the day!:D

And something as compact as a Bose system, but with the brilliance of a Bösendorfer VC 7e would be nice. It must not be watertight, I don´t operate a PA for the marina.

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A protection grill that doesn't rust or of plastic that breaks. Speakers on boats are often in hight traffic area and installed in a low position. They get a lot of abuse.

13. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Can someone tell me how to lower the volume on individual speakers.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

With a resistor.

Ask CDK how.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is a volume control, balance and fader built in the stereo. Remote controls are standard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.