Hullform question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Don Case, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Don Case

Don Case Junior Member

Hi all
    I'm fairly new to hullform and boat design. I'm trying to find what the Hullform equivilant to CLR or CLP is. I'm thinking that it is the X-center of area below waterline. Am I even close?
    Thanks
    Don

2. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

I'm not sure where you are in relation to your experience with this software but if you are using the free version you are better off learning freeship these days. Hullform has fallen by the wayside a bit and you will find it frustrating capmpared to freeship.

3. Don Case

Don Case Junior Member

I was using Freeship but I couldn't heel the boat(if I remember right),has that changed?
    Don

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

I still use one of the first Hullform versions for quick first estimates of hull geometry and evaluation. Personally, I feel comfortable with the command structure of the Hullform for the first "brainstorming sessions" before final design.

When you have a hull and balance it in the "statics" mode, you will get a presentation of all relevant parameters, but I do not recognize the constants you mention. The annotation may have changed in later versions, but the "help" chapter should get you on track.

5. Don Case

Don Case Junior Member

It is the Center of Lateral Resistance that I am trying to determine. It's also called the Center of Lateral Plane. I can find no reference to it in the "Help".
    Thanks
    Don

6. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Hah, the lateral area and its center are not available in my version (#6), so sorry, can't help you there.

7. Oldsalt31

Oldsalt31 New Member

Hi Don, I may be late with this reply but ..... I assume that the title X centre of area below waterline is what you are looking for. This dimension is from point of entry of course. I am a self taught user of 9P and still learning but together with Terho Halme's fine spreadsheet there is a wealth of information to be had .
    My project is an 8 mtr. cat. All the best, John

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.