Eric W. Sponberg Retirement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Eric Sponberg, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

To all,

I am now making an official announcement that as of 1 January 2016, I am retired from professional practice of naval architecture and yacht design. That is, I am trying to retire, but sometimes the phone keeps ringing and email offers keep coming in. I have been redirecting a lot of design work to other professionals so that my wife and I can concentrate getting my sailboat ready for some extended cruising. Some small jobs have come in, but I am keeping them few and far between.

The other reason for this notice is that my current website, www.sponbergyachtdesign.com, will cease to exist as of 9 March 2016. It is now replaced with my new website, www.ericwsponberg.com. This new website has all of the same articles as my old one, but the information on boat designs, mast designs, and forensic naval architecture is all new. These are set up as retrospectives of my career, and I hope they give some insight as to the nature of my professional work.

I will continue to look in here at BoatDesign.net sporadically, but don't count on any regular input--I truly am trying to retire--time to become a full-time sailor again.

Best regards to all,

Eric

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Sounds like you're doing it right, good luck.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

May good winds fill your sails!
    BR Teddy

4. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Congratulations on your retirement Eric and thanks for the update. We hope you share some updates of your voyages and any future projects you decide to take on.

Fair winds /) /) /)

Joseph

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sailing

Hope the two of you have great fun! Eric, thanks for all the help and encouragement over the years.......

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Many thanks for sharing your vast knowledge with all of us.

Eric, I hope you have a great long enjoyable retirement.

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

ditto to the above postings.........................

know back to real life, I need your home address so I can you my questions about my current build................................... stan

1 person likes this.
  8. warwick

warwick Senior Member

May you have good luck and times in your retirement now Eric.

9. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Ave atque vale !

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Welcome to the club. Retirement is great. No schedules, No deadlines. And you can do whatever YOU want to do.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Congrtulations

11. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Thanks Eric

Thank you Eric for your professional and well considered responses to our amateur musings. I would love for their to be some way of learning more of the details of yacht design from people like yourself who are leaving the field. I lament that fact that we lose huge amounts of wisdom when people retire.

Thanks again. I have always read your website and posts with the most careful scrutiny as your work seemed so well grounded in solid engineering and hydrodynamic principles.

cheers

Phil Thompson

12. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

I have followed you since I join the boat design forum. I first came to know you thru Professional Boatbuilders magazine. Didn't know then Eric in BDforum and the PB magazine is one and the same. Thank you so much for the previous responses I solicited from you. You always responded. I learned much from you.

Glad you are still in the forum.

13. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

All the best Eric.

And I am REALLY glad you found a way to preserve a great portion of your website material.

So many sites and great material seem to just disappear in these modern internet days.

14. cmckesson

cmckesson Naval Architect

That's a lot like the second happiest day of a boat owner's life.

Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your many contributions to the field of naval architecture.

Chris McKesson

15. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

All the best for the next part of your career, Eric!

Thanks for all the great technical info you have shared with us, I have learned a lots from you. And I know I will keep doing so in the future - because you are retiring only from the active boat design profession, but surely not from the Boatdesign.net. ;)

Hey when your boat is finished and ready for the cruise, don't forget to take your guitar with you... It will be a perfect companion to you and your wife for those nice relaxing sunsets with wine, nice food and everything... :)

Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.