Mahogany or teak for fiberglass ???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by clctrader, Jun 13, 2006.

1. clctrader

clctrader Junior Member

I currently own a project boat. Its a 1972 Performer 24' fiberglass boat. The other day i saw a real nice fiberglass boat with custom wood planks along the sides where the rod holders usually go. From the transom to half way the center console. This was on the edge, not the deck. Everything else was new white shiny gelcoat.

It looked very very nice. It was a modern fishing boat with a touch of luxury or high end. The wood looked like a dark reddish burlwood. with the SS rod holders, i was hooked...

I would like to know what kind of wood can i use to do the same to my boat. I only want to do the sides, and should be sort of a dark reddish burlwood.

Can anyone tell me what this kind of wood is called? and how can i get it to shine like that and be scratch resistant.

Thanks for any info and sorry for the long post:)

2. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

teak is the one i would use lasts a life time if looked after

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.