Equadhoo Investment Private Limited

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gamage, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

dont worry you lot, I'll fly out in my Bear jet and check it out

2. gamage

gamage Senior Member

Updates,

I sent a letter attached with my 1st post to this thread to the President of Republic of Maldives on 12th October 2007 by express post and copies to other recipients also by express post. A faxed copy of same letter to the Maldivian Labour ministry, and to the employment bureau Sri Lanka. Up to now no response from authorities except my friend Amajyds’s posting to this forum.
    Even though I was not paid for three months I am happily living with my family, and I will not leave boat building industry at any cost. I wish to reiterate to all members that I open this debate to keep inform all members about my bad experience in Maldives to prevent other member fallen in the same trap in future. Anyway, please don’t charter a boat to go to Male’ just to get my three months salary. :rolleyes:
    Still Equdhoo has not paid salaries to staff. If I stay there I could have sleep on same 3’ bunk and most probably their next date will be coming Thursday.

New story,
    One Srilankan boy, Kumara worked as cook in Meedhoo Boatyard. His mother was seriously ill and her last wish was to see her youngest son Kumara. His brother call him and ask him to come and informed to Shamsheer. He promised to send him but as usual it was only promise. Every time his brother calls, his answer was sending tomorrow. Finally he came to male’ after five days boat journey. At the same place, Nasru’s apartment both of us stayed helpless. I came home on my own ticket and he was not paid for two and half months and no money to come back .Last week his mother died without seen her son, Poor Kumara has given only 200 $ and ticket to come home.

Dark side of boatbuilding industry in Maldives
    Any Maldivian can register limited liability Company with few hundred rupees and can print attractive visiting card. (If you go to small hotel to have a cup of tea you can meet lot of chairman and managing directors )then they leased government land and put-up small shed and hunting foreigners who are engaged in boatbuilding using touch phone and computer as most of Maldavians do.
    When someone traps they provide contract with attractive terms and condition certified by Embassy where foreign employee belongs and send air ticket.
    In male’ embassy officials has no access to island far away and no government body monitoring their business activities, I guess???? We compare “limited liability company” with other countries and believe that they have good administration, and send annual audit report, employees information etc,,, etc,,,
    But this name limited liability is only word otherwise how equadhoo cover up their activties so long period?????????
    When worker come to Male’ employer take them to island after that it is very difficult to come out or fight for their rights. I myself tried to establish contact with our High Commission for many days. I had not enough money to call so I call our HC and ask phone operator to call me back, (When I talk to her in my native language she told me she is a Maldivian, So how Kumara or any other Sri Lankan can communicate with HC if they can’t speck in English???) For three days she avoid to give a phone to our officers and asked me to come to Male’ and complain. Then my son sent appeal to UN office in Male’ rest of the story written in my letter.
    Even with difficulty if any worker reaches to Male’ go to labour court and chances to get fair verdict is not easy. Because where he or she can stay???? Who will provide food and lodging?????? What is the protection for them? For an example I went to Labour office without getting salary they told me employer can sue employee if leave before the date of resignation. O.K now I came after date of resignation at least no acknowledgment to my letter addressed to the President….. So I feel Maldives is the most dangerous country for an expatriate employee, I have ever worked in my life.
    If foreign mission officials sell by themselves, to a recruiting agency or Maldivian employers then situation become worst.

I appeal over 24000 membership of this forum to come forward an send electronically signed petition to the International Labour Organization, UN high commission for human right and Maldivian Government to do a proper assessment of these boatyards (I don’t know whether Maldivian government has statistics how many boat yard registered and how many expatriate workers at presently working with them. I assume they may have) intervene to stop this barbarian practice of keeping expatriate workers without paying under hard working conditions.
    If somebody tries to justify Equadhoo is correct and Gamage is wrongdoing. :) let me repeat my words” Nahi Werani Werani” I appeal civilized people around the globe please don’t let these employers to bring innocent labourers from neighboring countries and deprive their wages like this at least in boatbuilding industry it should not happened.

Salty taste in Moldavian water blend with tears of poor expatriate workers and their kids and families who were not paid. At least once you may have taste????????

1 person likes this.
  3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

it is my understanding that India has the worlds larges labor unions ,,,,,were are they ??

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Well, I have always had a fondness for a menage a trois …
    ;-)

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

since when have mali, maldives, sri lanka been part of India:))

6. korvello

korvello Senior Member

once again thank you GAMAGE and despite what some in this forum may think don't stop fighting,this days we have a lot of people that puts up with a lot of crap like that and worst without protesting or defending what fair or theirs;[as someone said if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything].......... and i wish some of us would take your challenge and MAKE THOSE PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE WORLD IS WATCHING AND EITHER THEY SHAPE UP OR BE KNOWN BY THE CROOKED WAYS THAT THEY DO BUSINESS AND THAT FROM EQUADHOO TO THE MALDIVIAN GOVERNMENT .

7. korvello

korvello Senior Member

GAMAGE please post adresses ,e-mails, phone numbers or whatever you have on the parties envolved .

8. gamage

gamage Senior Member

Thank you Korvello, Please find attached contacted details,

1)H,E The President,
    President’s Office,
    Male’
    Republic of Maldives.

2)Hon Secretary to the HE the president of Sri Lanka
    Presidents’ Office,
    Colombo
    Sri Lanka.

3)Hon Secretary ,
    Ministry Of Foreign Affairs,
    Republic Building,
    Colombo 1,
    Sri Lanka.

4)The High Commissioner,
    Sri Lanka High Commission,
    Male’
    R.O. Maldives
    Contact Person Mr G.D.Mahinda Laxman (Labour Officer)
    Phone 00960 3323338
    Fax 00960 3321652

5)The High Commissioner,
    Maldivian High Commission,
    Sri Lanka.
    Fax 0094 112581200

6)The Chairman,
    Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment,
    234, Denzil Kobbakaduwa Mawatha,
    Battaramulla,
    Sri Lanka.
    Phone 009411 2864102
    Fax 009411 2864133
    (My Ref, CN/029/0709)

7)Office – in –Charge
    Labour Relation Department,
    Ministry Of Higher Education, Employment and National Security,
    Male’
    R. O. Maldives
    Contact Person Mr. Abubakker
    Phone 00960 3347473
    Fax 00960 3347496

8)The Officer in Charge
    United Nation’s Office,
    Male’
    R. O. Maldives
    Fax 00960 3324504

9)HE The Governor,
    Island Office
    S. Meedhoo addu
    R. O. Maldives

10) Petition Team,
    Office of the High commissioner of Human right,
    United Nation’s Office,
    1211, Geneva, 10
    Switzerland.

11) Shamsheer Rilwan,
    Chairman,
    Equadhoo Investment Private Limited,
    G.Goalhithreyge
    Hadheebee Magu,
    Male’
    R. O. Maldives
    Mobile 00960 7794084
    Email rilwan@equadhoo.com

12) Nasrulla Shihaab,
    Managing Director,
    Equadhoo Investment Private Limited
    G.Goalhithereyge,
    Male’
    R.O. Maldives
    Mobile 00960 7902711
    Email nasru@equadhoo.com

9. korvello

korvello Senior Member

Now we're talking!......anyone with ideas out there ? ......what about the owners and or senior menbers of this forum join together and write an e-mail /letter to the EQUADHOO people in the name of the thousands of BOATDESIGN.NET menbers ....it could say something like: DEAR SIR: IT COME TO OUR ATTENTION THAT ONE OF OUR MENBERS WAS HIRED BY YOUR COMPANY THRU OUR FORUM AND THAT HE WAS MISLEAD AND AT THIS TIME STILL REMAINS UNPAID FOR WORK PERFORMED ....SO ON AND ON AND ON ....it wouldn't hurt, then if those guys ignore just contact all others at least will be on record that the MALDIVES=TROUBLE...........YEAHhh WALRUS I ALREADY KNOW !:D :D :D :D :confused:

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I'll still say it - careful Korvello your putting your head in a noose without knowing the full story - somebody is bullshitting but who?

I noticed that Gamage is now approaching us with his wants! I do not, as yet, think we are ready, or have enough knowledge to concede yet!

Later maybe, but not yet!!

11. gamage

gamage Senior Member

12. korvello

korvello Senior Member

fair enough WALRUS :rolleyes: !...... i just think that GAMAGE has made is case fairly well and that it's time someone gets up from sitting on his hands and tries to help :eek:h well .......who cares right !

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What do you want us to complain about. The fact that you accepted a job knowing that there might be a possibility of not being paid. You accepted the risk.
    Ok not very nice people but there are lots more on the planet and its happening right now to someone else.

Being told you might not get paid means you wont get paid.

Learning lessons dont come cheap sometimes. Look how wiser you are now. This experience may help you with your carreer.

Personally I would distance myself from these people as its quite likely they owe money to others who may not be as tolerant as you and they may get a visit some day. I would'nt want to be involved with them when that happens.

You can waste a large part of your life chasing revenge that you may never get.

NOW--after saying that, by all means write letters and lodge your point with the appropriate authorities, but dont waste too much time, you've lost enough.

I would'nt hope for too much help from this forum either, we are all old men sitting at a computer with a blanket over our knees.

14. korvello

korvello Senior Member

speak for yourself FROST! ok maybe some are but what do you have to loose anyway what are you affraid off,your days are counted why not a little spice? does looking at young women and drinking colored water all you guys look foward to these days ,and i tought my life was boring ,i always tought that old men were smarter and braver ........well well i guess not !!!!!!:eek:

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

oK we are as impotent as old men sitting at computers with blankets over our knees. What do you want us / me to do?

You want me/us to write an e mail to all those addresses or you want me to telephone and complain personally

Old men are smarter, I dont know about braver, but this is very often misunderstood by younger men.

What were you planning on doing about it?

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.