Epoxy for bedding diesel fuel fittings ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by pescaloco, Jan 15, 2017.

1. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Hey guys

Can you recommend an epoxy for bedding stainless steel fuel tank fittings in a composite fuel tank.

Thank you

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

West System has been successful at bonding metal with their epoxy. Another brand that should work is Loctite; the Hysol epoxy.

3. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

certainly lean toward an epoxy adduct and or a cycloaliphatic epoxy for your fuel tank. Or use a thickened epoxy but make sure thickener is something like kevlar which is very inert.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd agree in the "epoxy+" approuch and Paul has a Kevlar filler, epoxy formulation (Wet/Dry 700) that works very well. I've used it, tested it and it's surprisingly tough, yet still retains enough elasticity modulus to work well in a laminate, as well as a stand alone. It cures immersed too . . . Bring a stiff putty knife, as this stuff is heavy bodied goo.

5. pescaloco

pescaloco Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys

I will contact Paul

6. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

thanks PAR - you can read about the wet dry 700 kevlar epoxy paste on a "favorites" web page I put up recently - epoxyproducts.com/favorites4u.html - Actually I liked using it on electrical connections on my old sailboat - smear over the twisted wires and a forever fix (why are the wires to bilge pumps always so short that they never make it out of the flood prone bilge?????)

paul oman progressive epoxy polymers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.