Dave Gerr 28' Offshore Skiff

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Divided Sky 24, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Divided Sky 24

Divided Sky 24 New Member

Hello! My name is Clay and I am currently building a Dave Gerr 28' Skiff. The owner of this fine future vessel will not be able to afford to keep it so this boat will be for sale. Anyone interested is welcome to email me svdividedsky@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

2. Divided Sky 24

Any ideas on marketing would be appreciated. Thanks!

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Marketing is a pretty unique process, particularly when selling an oddball. I say this because there are several variables that hurt the ability to improve the "market share" you might enjoy with other design and build choices. For example, this is a flat bottom, wooden boat, built by a less than notable builder (no offence intended). The market for flat bottom, wooden boats, built by a relatively unknown builder is very small, limiting your available market of potential buyers.

The best marketing approuch may be (IMO) to promote the Dave Geer attributes of the design, noting his tendency to design stout craft, with well thought out lines and shapes. Additionally, how the boat is equipped will help tremendously in her eventual sale. New, well regarded engine(s), electronics, equipment, etc., plus finishes that are similar to production boats, will all go a long way to its sale. As to where to place the "ad" for the boat, well this is usually location dependant, other than the usual sources, such as WoodenBoat's classified section and Boats and Harbors, etc. A broker may be an option (at a significant cost).

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I would add that listing the materials used will help too. For example, plywood type and brand of epoxy.

5. Divided Sky 24

Hello. It's been a while since my first post so I though I would give an update on the Offshore skiff. First I thought I would provide some context. I am currently building this boat in the small town of Hohenwald TN, about 2 hours drive SW of Nashville. In the last few years I have taken up farming and a rural life to raise some kids but I was born and raised on the shores of the Chesapeake bay and spent my whole life to this point in the sea. I worked in a great little boatyard out of high school starting as a rigger then moving into carpentry a few years later. I have about 10K sea miles between the Caribbean and US east coast on various boats but mostly on my custom eastward ho 24' cutter that I rebuilt while working at Hartge Yacht Yard. All of this is to say that although this boat has no pedigree I am a good boatbuilder who knows the sea and not just some newbie in TN who is building a boat in his garage. This boat will be solid and built with no corners cut. It's framed in dug fir and fastened in bronze planked with meranti plywood and sheathed in 10oz glass.
    All parts are coated in epoxy.

In the last pics I had just flipped the hull. I now have two 60 gal fuel tanks installed and the cockpit sole almost complete. Today I glued the scarfs on the side deck carlins.

Attached Files:

Angélique likes this.
  6. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Subscribed.

7. Milehog

Milehog Clever Quip

Updates?

8. djamson

djamson Junior Member

That's a nice boat project. Are you done building it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.