Redoing my floor

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Steve71, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Steve71

Steve71 New Member

Hello,
    I am in the process of redoing the deck on my 24' center console. I was told that if I use treated wood that the resin would not bond? Is this true? Or should I just use good "ol" plywood? I thought since I have the floor cut out that I should go ahead an replace the aluminum tank with a poly tank. I also thought that I will make a floor access should there be a need to get to the tank for the next owner of this boat.
    Thanks, Steve

2. harveydoryguy

harveydoryguy Junior Member

well i just replaced a section of floor on the harvey with 3/4 " balsa
    its not that expensive 370 bucks for 128 sq feet ...and its cut into 2 inch blocks and has a cloth backer to keep it togeather ....molds to the bottom contors so nice ...really good stuff and light too..

i went 8 layers of may on top and 6 layers on the bottom to reinforce the existing bottom..

plus i think balsa is was alive and i like that in my boat..

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Resin will bond to treated wood as long as it is well dried out. I have use it and it sticks as well as regular wood. There is a site which did testing and they got the same results. sorry I don't know it off by hand. I could find it if you want.