Epoxy

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sbklf, Apr 19, 2006.

1. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

Epoxy questions

I am repairing a boat that is supposedly vinylester constructed. After reading manufacturers info, I have decided to use epoxy for its bonding and strength characteristics. I have read information on West System, System Three and MAS epoxies. West System is convienient so I was going with it. Are there any reasons I should consider the others? Repairs include stringer reattachment, flooring replacement, and adding laminations to the hull. Lots of corners to make and area to cover. Is there a certain weight woven that might work well in all these areas or will I need a variety? I am worried about strength not appearance. Kevin

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

All 3 manufacturers make good epoxy. I would not be worried about that.

Get a roving that is not too course. I am not too familiar with the imperial units, but I would recommend a 300-400 gr/m2 woven roving or cloth for this.

Good luck!

3. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

I agree with herman, all those will work. I prefer MAS low viscosity resin (easier to use with glass) and now the the entire line of MAS is blush free including the fast.
    ---Joel---

4. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

sorry to hear about using west. i have found ot to be brittle and damn expensive. just cause it cost alot does not mean ot works well. I use raka epoxy and have had no problems with it. thats raka.com

5. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Here the cycloaliphatics and low blush are dearer than west. I, too are cautious about the brittleness of 105 resin. Although, not much point having
    a low-mod. resin with a hi-mod. glass.
    Gerr's "Elements of boat strength" is good reference for fillet scaling and tabing.

6. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

Thankyou for the valuable Raka information.
    Any opinions on using a 17 oz biaxial cloth maybe with a matt backing like the 1708 for the variety of repairs I have to make? Any suggestions? Kevin

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

I would delete the matt for use wth epoxy.Just use biaxial.

8. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

I agree, if you have to have a finish then I would use a high build epoxy primer and it should hide any weave.

9. sbklf

sbklf Junior Member

This boat has 3 foam filled fiberglass stringers, one on each side (upside down L shape,and one in the middle (upside down U shape) and it is foam filled between the floor and hull. Do they rely on this foam for any structural support? The stringers are only about 1/8 to 3/16 thick by about 10" X 10". Can I remove a section of it and resplice it or is this not advisable? Kevin