Precoat in an infusion mold.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Fgayford, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Fgayford

Fgayford Junior Member

Can you spray a clearcoat in a mold that will be infused (example Duretec clear). If so, how long can you wait before you put in your reinforcement and infuse?
    Thanks
    Fred

2. benglish300

benglish300 Junior Member

Ive heard of folks sprayin 545 in the mold before a skin coat. Im not to familiar with ducatec bein sprayed in the mold though. Whats the advantage? Fairing once the part is popped? How about clear gel-coat? I think it was morris yachts that used to lay down clear gelcoat before an infusion so they could see any dry spots in the laminate and such.

3. Fgayford

Fgayford Junior Member

I thought that the clear coat would be a bit tacky to aid in helping lay in the carbon fiber for that look. I also thought that the infusion would have less of a chance of having pin hole in the surface of the part.
    Fred

4. benglish300

benglish300 Junior Member

You defintley won't get pin holes if you coat the mold, or at least not many. Now, do you mean tacky, as in actully tacky so the fabic will drape easier without the use of tack spray? I'm assuming your worried about the adhesive spray cloudin up your clear coat look.

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

There are some folks on the Composite Central forum doing Duratek Clear in mould on a regular basis.

6. Fgayford

Fgayford Junior Member

Hi Herman
    I am trying to find Duratek clear but only finding a Duratek additive and not sure what the deal is.
    Can you shed some light on this.
    Thanks
    Fred

7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The problem with a tack free cure is that the bond will be poor compared to a tackier product. This doesn't mean it won't be good enough though.

If you can buy an old style, higher styrene clear gel coat, the surface be less tacky, but still have a very good bond.