Epoxy vs Vinyl vs Polly

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RichardM, Dec 7, 2005.

1. RichardM

RichardM New Member

I am boat shopping and I'm fairly new to boating and I'm confused by the different types of resins and methods being employed. Everyone seems to agree vacuum bag wet-out and epoxy resin apears to be the superior method of hull construction. Lighter, stronger, more stiff, better bonding, lower water transmitence and overall most cost effective.
    If it were simply a matter of economics, i.e. epoxy cost more than vinyl and vilyl more than polly I could understand why manufacturers choose different methods, but I am finding sport fish boats fabricated with epoxy construction competitively priced to their polly and vinyl counterparts.
    Am I missing something? Why don't all builders use epoxy?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Polyester resin costs about 1/4 of epoxy. It is also easier to use. It wets faster and the mix ratio is not as critical. For medium performance applications, where minimum weight is not necessary, epoxy is a waste. On the other hand, the cost of the hull is maybe 10% of the total boat. That means that using epoxy increases the total cost by 15-20%.

3. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Epoxy is clearly superior in most respects. If I could buy the same boat, for the same price, in either epoxy or polyester, epoxy wins hands down, regardless of the usage. Different boats, different prices... now you need to consider other factors as well.

Did that help? No? Sorry... welcome to boating.

4. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

Poly or Viynelester boats can all use gelcoats to get the nice durable and glossy moulded finish whereas epoxy gelcoats do not really exist. For a moulded epoxy hull a poly gel can be applied with extra tie coats or needs to be painted which is not so durable.

5. RichardM

RichardM New Member

Thanks John. I thought urethanes were taking the place of gelcoats o0n epoxy hulls.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think polyurethan paints can last as long as polyester gelcoat and look better without any waxing.

7. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

Gelcoats may need polishing in the longer term but are harder, thicker and more durable (abrasion durability) than paints. Your paints are generally thin and when scratched will cut through to your undercoat or primer to often show another colour. Sure paints look good when new but but may look pretty average 5 years down the track. I feel when restoring older boats the gelcoat finish should be kept and maintained as long as possible.

8. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I second this opinion - Gel coats may be harder, but they are also much more brittle - they crack. paint will not crack as easy.

Unless you need it to build something in a mold - I cant think of any other application where I would prefer it over paint.

9. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

The gel only cracks where a laminate is too flexible, usually solid laminate boats without sandwich construction.

10. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

Please explain cracks in gelcoat around mounted hardware (hinges, bowrails, consoles, etc....)

11. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

These are points where the laminate is flexed I imagine.

12. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I disagree, the gelcoat can crack due to its being brittle alone - the laminate under it does not need to move.

You are right also, it the laminate moves - then the gelcoat will most likely crack.

13. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

But, but, but, John, how can that be, all the old salts I've talked to insist that solid laminates are much stronger....

Yoke.

14. John ilett

John ilett Senior Member

A solid laminate boat is more robust and fail safe like, but that does not stop them flexing. The laminate will flex (not fail) and the gel coat being brittle cracks.

Sandwich boats are typically much thicker/stiffer and do not flex.

15. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"all the old salts I've talked to insist that solid laminates are much stronger..."

What has fooled the "old salts" is that at high load spots the solid laminate is usually stiffer than cored material with poor (quick) construction for the high load.

Cracks in gelcoat at stress points is a SURE sign of broken laminate and the need for a robust repair..

Most glass is strong enough , but getting it stiff enough to not come unglued over the years is always the hard design part.

Basically if its stiff enough to never flex , it may weigh a bit more , but will last almost forever.

The old glass boats , that were built to what would be insane scantlings today , dont flex and will live till sunk, or burned.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.