epoxy sensitivity

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by freddyj, Aug 9, 2016.

1. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I've been building my ply/epoxy boat for 3 years now, and I didn't take proper precautions due to my own stupidity, and now I have a sensitivity to epoxy. I think I'll be able to stay covered up enough to finish this project, but I'm looking forward to the next one and was wondering what my options are regarding resins other than epoxy. Polyester? Vinylester? Are they as strong bonding as epoxy?

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

if you started your build with epoxy it's very hard to switch back to a resin. epoxy will glue resin resin will not glue to epoxy. one trick that I have used in the past and mind you I am not sensitive epoxy even though I've been working with it for close to 35 years is spray WD-40 on your arms and hands and legs if necessary before you put on two sets of gloves. you might also want to wear a mask as big as possible cover most of your face and hope it works for you.

3. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I'm gonna cover up good and finish this one with epoxy. But I was just wondering if the other resins are as good as epoxy. I know polyester has a crappy secondary bond. But what else is out there?

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Epoxy is the top of the line as far as adhesives go. Far stronger than the others.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The WD-40 thing works, but isn't a very good idea, considering what it is. To address you epoxy sensitivity, you need to switch brands and stay away from it for a while. Which brand are you using, as some are worse than others? Switching to one of the "non-blush" brands can help a lot.

Besides good protection techniques, use a "Liquid Glove" type of product on arms and places where dust can collect, like around the neck, waistband area, bend of the elbow, etc. These are natural protection products and far superior, than smearing several petroleum products all over you. Hairspray also works when sanding, use in the same locations. It seals the skin, so dust can't get in, but is easily washed off.

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Boats do not have to be made with epoxy and fiberglass. There are ways of building traditional boats that do not use any epoxy. Plank on frame, plywood on frame, skin on frame (works well for small boats like kayaks, canones, dingys, etc).

Switch to polyurethane glue, oil based paints: no fiberglass, no epoxy. I have built close to 30 small boats, only used fiberglass and epoxy on two of them. I am not epoxy sensative, I just do not like working with it.

A traditional skin-on-frame kayak does not have to use any modern (toxic) materials at all: wood, oil based paints and sealants, cotton fabric (though nylon or polyester fabric lasts longer), lashing cord, mortise or dowel and lashed joints. All fun, easy, simple hand tools, and no toxic compounds.

traditional wood boat construction also does not use any epoxy, but is labor intensive. Those that do it I think do it as a wood working hobby. I find working with wood enjoyable and do that for no other reason. Since there is no rational reason for owning a boat I might as well build with materials I enjoy using.

Metal boat construction uses no epoxy as well. It is popular for mid to larger size "work boats" but have also found a demand in custom sailboats as well.

So it depends on what kind and size of boats you are building. What do you have in mind for future projects?

7. PAR

I was assuming he has been working on a taped seam build, though I could be incorrect. If this the case (taped seam), epoxy is the only real option. I agree there are other methods, but we've have to wait and see.

8. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I was thinking after this one is done, I would spend my winters building a bigger 28 or 33ft buccaneer. Maybe I should just be happy with the 24 and spend the winter towing it to somewhere warm. It's just been so much fun working with epoxy that I want to do it some more.

9. PAR

Again, which brand are you using?

10. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Axxson, cause I can get it locally. Maybe a different brand would be better for sensitivity.

11. PAR

Try RAKA.com, Bateau.com and Epoxyproducts.com for different resins. Look for the non-blush formulations, which tend to be better about sensitivity.

12. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Kansas....all right! My home state. I'm sure you've been asked more than once how someone in Kansas gets interested in boat building. That's where I started building somewhere around 16 years ago.

I too have developed a sensitivity and fortunately, it only presents itself when I'm sanding fairly fresh epoxy and cutting through some glass fibers while doing it. Ditto recently for sanding some fresh fairing coats (epoxy, glass bubbles and CS) without wearing sleeves. Wrists and elbows are the popular locations. Don't scratch your privates unless you know you have absolutely no epoxy on your hands. Don't ask me how I know :eek:

I've settled on RAKA epoxy as my go to for boat building. Gulfstreamcomposites.com has been offering free shipping and that is always a plus. Living in Kansas your going to find that internet purchases are about the only way to go. I have more options now, but still end up going online for most of my boat supplies.

Something else to be wary of is your mix ratios. It's my understanding that it's the hardeners that are the primary culprit in sensitivity development. I actually think I sensitized when using some resin that had some crystallization in it. This threw off the mix ratio and caused (IMO) some serious blush issues. Now, I watch carefully for crystals, mix slightly heavy (very slightly) on the resin side and use a different brand of resins.

I still have the sensitivity, but it's not severe enough to make me stop using epoxy. I do try to avoid swimming in it though. If I ever unglove in an epoxy session and glove up again, I start with a fresh pair or a pair that has cured out for a day. If I have a blow out with one glove, I change both. This way, I'm not pulling on a clean glove with a dirty/wet one and contaminating my wrist. Ditto for my sleeve protectors. If one piece (glove or sleeve) comes off, it all comes off and dry protection goes back on.

Happy Building! Post a pic or two.

13. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

Here you go.

Attached Files:

14. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Nice project. Thanks for posting. Where in Kansas if you don't mind me asking.

My current two favorite online suppliers for non-epoxy related products

wholesalemarine.com and greatlakesskipper.com

I can and you a more inclusive list if you are interested.

15. freddyj

freddyj Senior Member

I'll check those places for my next batch. I'm in Wichita.