What plans should I use

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by smb, Nov 24, 2008.

1. smb

smb New Member

Hi All,

Been reading the forum and have decided I would like to give boat building a go.

Firstly my background, I have a fair bit of experience in composite manufacturing including; RTM of carbon fibre components in aluminium tools, vacuum bagging prepreg and wet layup laminates as well as pattern and mould making. I also was involved in some vacuum infusion trials before I changed jobs.

Now to the boat. I would like to build myself a centre console fishing boat that is around the 20 foot mark, defiantly not much bigger than that. It would be used for offshore work and a comfortable ride is a major consideration. A very simple and uncluttered layout is the goal. I would also like to keep engine horsepower down around the 115hp if possible.

Finally regarding manufacturing techniques, I am trying to be open to suggestions but my personal bias would be towards foam cored glass and epoxy construction techniques as that is what I am most familiar with.

Any suggestions on plans I should be looking at?

Thanks for your time!

2. raw

raw Senior Member

Hi There,

I have (almost) what you are looking for.

Send me a pm with your email address and phone number and I will get some info to you.

Also Australian Based.

raw.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

4. smb

smb New Member

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, the Bateau plans are very nice and the folks accommodating. Joel posts here every so often and they have their own discussion forum that addresses their designs, plans, kits and building issues. Their CNC kits are very neat and saves a fair bunch of work, mistake free. Tell Joel, PAR sent you.

6. raw

raw Senior Member

smb,

You have email.

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I recently built a 12 foot rowboat from Bateau.com. It was relatively easy to do and their instructions and build notes were, for the most part, clear and accurate. see Building the FL12 http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fl12.html

I would recommend them.

8. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

An Aussie design

G/day SMB,
    Mate I'm building an Australian designed C/Console fishing boat it's 6.7mts long, there is also plans avaliable for a 5.5mt version of it. I'm not that far of being finished. I also looked at the Bateau designs and personally I think my Australian designed boat is a better looking one. Check out my gallery if you have any questions about it give me a yell only to glad to help anyway I can.

Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.